Help!! DSLR or Camcorder

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

I am a noob hobby videographer now realizing that what I am asking my Canon HV30 to do is like asking Hilary and Donald to just make nice and be friends. I do hype films for my high school kids sporting events, agricultural equipment marketing videos for work, and I will be getting paid this winter to do snowmobile action marketing videos so I really need to find a camera that will be able to do what I need. If I want to stay married, I can only spend around $1000. I need a high frame rate camera to do silky slow motion and most likely with extreme zoom and in low light situations such as a high school football game. Tough task, I know but that is my task at hand. I realize that DSLR cameras are set up to handle the optical zoom situations but they always feel clunky and counter intuitive to me fast action, large playing field situations like a football game. I am always ruining shots with blurry manual focus so I am thinking camcorder just because they are easier to use. Any thoughts out there?

I too recently switched to DSLR from a Sony SD Camcorder. I bought a used Canon 60D and even though it’s not the best one out there, the price was right. I bought mine (With a kit lens) for around $500 (If I Remember correctly). That left enough left over to buy some lens/accessories. Camcorders can get pricey.

Participant

I would highly look into the Sony RX10 or, even better, the Sony RX10 II. It can shoot in 4K or 1080HD, has a 1″ sensor, it’s decent in low light (sensitivity to iso 12,800), has a 24mm-200mm zoom range, and can do insane slow motion (up to 960fps), although I wouldn’t go past 240fps in most cases because the quality degrades at rates higher than that. It has a built-in zoom lens with a constant f2.8 aperture, a headphone jack and a mic jack for recording audio, too, along with decent autofocus if you need it. It does have a max single clip length of 29 min. and 59 seconds though (as most still cameras that shoot video do), so be aware of that. It retails for about $1398, which is a bit more than your $1000 budget, but it seems to tick all the boxes you’re looking for, and you might be able to find it used for closer to $1,000. If you need a longer zoom range, there’s the RX10 III (24-600mm), but the aperture stops down to f4 at about 105mm thru 600mm. Plus, it’s more expensive at about $1600 brand new, although you might be able to find it for less used.

Another great option might be the Panasonic GH4 (although slow motion only goes up to 96fps in HD and the quality isn’t that great), since it does not have the 30 minute limit, but it’s not the best in low light plus you’ll have to buy a lens (or multiple lenses) separately. It’s a little more expensive (just under $1500) new, but again, you may be able to find it for less.

Here’s a great review of the RX10 II:

And another one with several video samples:
      https://www.dpreview.com/articles/8979344825/slow-motion-and-4k-video-samples-from-the-sony-rx10-ii

Finally, if you prefer them, there’s dedicated camcorders such as the Canon XA10 (1080 only up to 60fps interlaced, no 4K) which has a zoom range of 30.4-304mm, or the JVC GY-HM170UA (4K and 1080p up to 60fps) with a zoom range of 29.5-354mm, but they both run about $1300 new and will not be very good in low light. Plus, the slow motion on either of those cams will be nowhere near as sweet as on the RX10s.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Participant

Me again – one more recommendation to check out: the Panasonic FZ1000, which retails for only $800 new, has a 1″ sensor, 25-400mm f/2.8-4 (35mm Equivalent) zoom, does 4K, up to 120fps slow motion, and iso up to 25,600, and decent autofocus – here’s a link to a slow-motion sample:

Worth checking out if budget is your primary concern.

Participant

Unless it’s your sole business, it usually doesn’t make sense to buy a camcorder. If people are paying you, they deserve to have their videos done with the best equipment, only way to do that is to rent what you need for the days you need it and add it to your invoice. The often overlooked alternative to purchasing a new camera is to upgrade your lighting equipment because I have found a better and more lights make your images look much better than changing cameras

What is your budget? Nikon d3300 is a great all around camera

Look at here http://thedigitalcamera.net/best-dslr-cameras-for-beginners/

I am in the same boat. I currently shoot with the 80d and various Rebel cameras for B roll, but I have found their features lacking in certain environments. I shoot varied situations at work and I am seriously looking into the Panasonic FZ2500. It is future proofed with 4k video features, but built on the solid performance of the FZ1000. And not to mention, it is also a stills camera with a long reach. It is not a low light performer, but as mentioned above, lighting will make the difference in those situations.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2021

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers something different,...
homicide-bootstrap