H9 i7 or Xeon HexCore for Editing Documentary…..Help!!!

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing H9 i7 or Xeon HexCore for Editing Documentary…..Help!!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I need help before I go broke!
      I looking to buy a new editing system. I'm needing something that is scalable and easy to upgrade when the time comes. I am preparing to shoot a documentary in the coming months, and will not be making any additional funds during the production period. I have received a lump sum to get the project started and will be relying on speed during production time. I'm looking at two systems. The specs are below. I will be working in adobe creative suite. With HD video. I plan on renting a 4K camera for several re-enactments. the doc. will run approx 105 minutes. I will have very little money to upgrade so I am looking for a good system to get me through this project comfortably.
      System #1
      •    An HP Z800 workstation with two Intel Hex-Core Xeon X5679 (12 cores at 3.2 GHz each with Hyperthreading to 24 cores) with two High-Performance HP Heatsinks
      •    An 1100 Watt High Output Power Supply with Built-in Self Test
      •    Full 48GB new HP Branded PC3-10600 DDR3 ECC RAM (12 x 4GB DIMMs)
      •    A new 500GB 7,200 RPM SATA Drive
      •    Two new 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA Drives
      •    An HP nVidia Quadro 4800 Graphics Adapter with 1.5GB memory
      •    An HP DVD±RW Dual-Layer Drive and a DVD ROM Drive
      •    HP Restore Plus Disks with Windows 7 Professional 32/64 Bit (COA)
      •    HP USB Keyboard, Optical Mouse and Heavy Gauge Power Cord
      •    HP's On-Site Support Warranty until March 2014
      System #2
      •    HP Pavilion Elite Series H9-1270t Phoenix
      •    2nd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3960X six-core processor [3.3GHz, Shared 15MB Cache] w/turbo boost up to 3.9Ghz
      •    32 GB DDR3-1600MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs] – 32GB Max
      •    3 TB 7200 rpm SATA (6.0 Gb/sec)
      •    3GB AMD Radeon HD 7950 [Dual Bracket, DVI, HDMI, 2x mini-DP]
      •    Blu-ray player w/16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
      •    802.11 b/g/n PCI Express Wireless Mini Card 2×2 (dual band) + Bluetooth
      •    2 SS USB 3.0 (SuperSpeed)
      SuperSpeed — New higher signaling rate of 5Gbps (625MB/sec), 10 times faster than regular USB 2.0
      •    Beats Audio ™ — Built-in High Definition 8 channel audio
      •    Liquid Cooling Solution
      •    600W Power Supply
      •    Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate Edition (64-bit)
      The price for the Z800 is $3500 price for the H9 is $1900

Participant

The Xeon is the better system so if you can afford it do that, however, if you add 2 more fast 500Gb drives to the second system it should work without bottle necks. So that's one drive for the programs, one for your footage and one for the render (output).

I'm sure HP wouldn't advocate this but, the best thing I ever did on my HP, now 5 years old, was get rid of all the HP stuff, including the partitons, and all the crap ware stuff they get paid to include. I mean, wipe the drive completely and start over: install win7 64, Adobe and any needed drivers not already in Win7, find an uninvasive virus scanner if you need to access the internet (not recommned on your edit computer).

Participant

I have the budget to get the Xeon dual Hex, But if the H9 will work I can save the money. Just don't want to get half way through project months down the road and have to upgrade for 4K video editing. What do you think about the video cards? is the Radeon HD 7950 the better of the two with 3GB?

Participant

I can't reallly comment on the video cards because I've never edited on 4K. I imagine multiple lines of 4K would be hard to render in real time so, if it's not too demanding a production, either would be fine. If you end up stacking multiple 4K time lines you'll need to do a little more research regarding cards that won't bog down.

Participant

I got the Z800 with dual hex cores but with a Quadro 4000 GPU. I was thinking of adding a telsa card for a 1st generation maximus configuration recommended by Nvidia and adobe. After a little research I keep hearing that the GTX 680 is a much faster card even better than a maximus configuration. I am also looking to add a dedicated raid control to my system. Any suggestions? I want to get the best configuration possible with this system.

Participant

AMD FirePro W7000?
      AMD FirePro
      Is this the card I should get? or should I stick with nVidia and go with the GTX series?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap