H264 from Contour HD

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hell everyone…I have about 48 gigabytes of clips (30 clips or so on microSD) from a bike ride i did last year that i want to edit using WIndows 8.1 

I wondered what programs you all could recommend for such a feat.  I understand H264 is problematic when editing in windows, and Contour is out of business at the moment…i have zero experience using video editing software, but have read about Pinnacle Studio 17. 

I would really appreciate guidance from you all.

THanks,

Rich

Participant

H.264 isn't really "Problematic" on windows. Some containers aren't read by some software and it can be a load on a system if the CPU is slow and memory is low. The system needs to meet the spec's of the software as far as CPU speed and RAM. Also some software is capable of GPU acceleration and that speeds up the use of H.264, especially when using AVCHD.

If your system will handle it, try the latest version of Da Vinci Resolve lite can do alot and you can download the Gopro studio, both are free. If the file extension reads .mp4 both will read it. If they read MTS or M2TS then you will need to convert but there are some free options for that as well. So you can mess around with it some before buying a NLE to see how your system will handle editing. But look at the system spec's of the software and make sure you meet it or you will deal with things like crashes and such. 

Participant

Hi Woody, thank you!

I expect my new laptop to arrive fedex on wednesday.  It is a dell xps 15, with 512 solid state drive, with 16gb memory, and 4th gen icore 7 processor, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB GDDR5 video card,

my hope is that this system will be able to handle the work load and then some.

here is what i want to do and i want the best, and dont mind paying for it:

I want to play each of the 48 clips using whatever software…and cut the best of each clip, add the different cuts together, then add text to the clips…speed up some frames, slow down other frames to add effect and so forth…to finalize, i want to add music.

so, with all the above in mind, would you still recommend your method, or can we think even bigger?

thanks again for replying…who knows, maybe after this experiment, i will really enjoy editing, and pick it up as a fun hobby, ive got tons of cell phone and camera videos 

-Rich

new york

Participant

Maybe add a second drive or a USB3 drive to render to as a scratch drive and your set. If money is no object then I'd just go Adobe Creative Cloud but with software comes a learning curve no matter what you go with.

You also might want to de-noise footage and de-fish it some depending on what you have. I don't think you are going to have an issue with the H.264 Codec but how you want to manipulate the footage might come down to the NLE and I don't think Pinnacle would be your best bet.

Participant

All good points Woody thank you. Maybe you can email me so we can continue a dialogue? Rpayne76@hotmail. I would really appreciate any further info you might be willing to share.
      Goodnight for now and thank you!

Participant

the file extensions are .mov? 

Participant

Tricky76, I agree with Woody. You are going to need a second drive, probably external. Your 512 solid state drive(512mb) is very fast but will fill quickly with video files. When you set the properties for your video project, you should be able to send video files to the second drive. My computer has two drives ( 512mb solid state and a 1TB hard drive) and the first project with it I didn't set the files to be stored on the second drive. It made for slow going. Hope this helps. Keep shooting.  

Participant

thanks v-man, but can i ask why i would need a 2nd drive? as i said, im new, but what purpose would, as woody said, a "scratch" drive serve?  i happened to buy a WD MyCloud drive last week in order to move all my old docs from my old laptop over to that…it is a 2 terabyte drive.  would that come in handy for my purposes here?

also, keep in mind, i am only working with a total of 30GB in 48 clips of video.  i am keeping none of the audio, its all wind noise. 

so anyway, i do appreciate any further info you are willing to provide, thanks!

rich

Participant

"Scratch" drives are a second drive for the software to render to to avoid reading and writing to the same drive at the same time. It helps avoid software crashes. Typically you would order a desktop or laptop with two drives for that. You might check though Tricky because my wife has the same laptop you just ordered and she has two drives in it. You might have room for a second drive in your laptop and then just have to instal it, which isn't hard. I've replaced thedrives in her Dell XPS 15 before. 

I have two drives in my MSI laptop in a raid 0 config but it is partitioned so that the software can read and write without bottle necking and crashing. Even though a lot of software is utilizing the GPU for rendering some heavy effects, it is still a good idea to reder to a scratch drive. USB3 isn't as fast as and estata drive in the computer but I've set them up on single drive laptops for people and it's usualy fast enough to eleminate crashes. You just want to make sure your external is at least 7200 rpm just like a HDD.

So its more of a efficiency and function thing than just storage.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Stock media: How to find and use the best stock photos, videos, music and more

Acquiring stock media and editing it into your project is very often faster, cheaper and much more convenient than creating that media yourself.
homicide-bootstrap