Good video lens for a GH3?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Howdy folks.

I am completely new to the whole "choosing a lens" thing, so any help here would be appreciated.

I'll be shooting mostly classical music concerts, where adding lights won't be an option and ambient lighting is often less-than desirable.

So what I think I need is a fast lens (<f2.8) that also has the ability to zoom a bit (I might have to set up farther away and/or closer than I'd like sometimes). I understand that primes are cheaper and in some cases better, but I think I need this versatility since it won't always be possible for me to setup where I need to be just for the sake of the shot. Images should be sharp and clear. Autofocus is probably a must.

I''m willing to drop a little bit of money on this, so somewhere in the $1k to $1.5k range wouldn't make me blush, as long as it's worth the investment. Cheaper is better of course, but if I can keep the total cost of the camera under $3k, that would be grand.

Thanks!

Participant

12-35 and the 35-100 are F2.8 continuous. Killer combo. Only thing I'd add to that is a Rokinon 7.5mm for some crazy fish-eye. 

🙂

Mike WilhelmMike Wilhelm
      Keymaster

We wrote a buyers guide on this a few months back you should check out. More specificlly, take a look at our lens comparison grid (PDF).

Hope this helps!

Hi – as recommended above, the $1399 Panasonic 35-100 f2.8 is probably your best bet.  If you want to save a little money, you can get one for $1316 used at Amazon Warehouse Deals or new for $1201 from Japan through Amazon.

The tight shots in this classical concert video were recorded with the GH3 and the 35-100mm lens (please watch at 1080p):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW8HlgC-oKc

If you're shooting from the audience, you shouldn't need anything wider than 35mm.  If you do, you may have to settle for a low light prime such as the $569 25mm f1.4, since the $1139 12-35mm constant f2.8 will take you well over your $3K budget, once the price of the GH3 is added in (even if you order the direct from Japan version of the lens for $1000).

Cheers and good luck with your project!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

That video looks very good.  Did you use two GH3's? I like the transitions.  How do you like the ability to zoom on the 35-100 lense? I'm in a simular situation but in addition to concets, I want to have to have the option to record two heads at close range and create that deapth of field. interviews at a closer range so I coupled the 12-35 and the Summilux 25mm f1.4 as a combo.   I'm having a hard time choosing between the 12-35 and the 35-100.   I read somewhere that the 12-35 works smother on video than the 35-100 but this footage looks pretty good.  I also thought I'd wait for the gh4 but I think it's priced at 1700.00 to realease at the end of April.  This would be over my range and then I will have to go with only one lense.  Wondering if I should wait..What are your thoughts?  Thanks!!

[quote=MikeWilhelm]

We wrote a buyers guide on this a few months back you should check out. More specificlly, take a look at our lens comparison grid (PDF).

Hope this helps!

[/quote]

Hi Mike – maybe I missed it – but I couldn't find any Panasonic DSLM lenses on your DSLR lens comparison grid?

The lenses I did find (e.g., from Canon, Zeiss, Nikon, Sony) are incompatible with the OP's Panasonic GH3 DSLM camera without an adapter.

Respectfully,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2020

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your...
homicide-bootstrap