Going National With a Career Change

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Videomaker Forum readers, please lend your eyes and minds to a message that came to us recently from one of your fellow videographers about where to go with a career change and specifically transitioning from regional workshops to national distribution. Please offer serious advice and encouragement as only Videomaker posters can.

Thank you, the text of the message follows (Jackson Wong, associate editor):

I'm in process of transitioning from my existing career (kitchen remodeler) to production/filmmaker.  I also teach classes for women in construction.  For last several years I have been moving my skills and knowledge into new formats and this year is the final year to finally make the big move, which is to go completely digital with all my dvds, subscription to training on our website and 3x year carpentry events for women.  

I know it sounds unusual but I would like to take my training to a national perspective instead of just local (northern california).  To that end, we have full workshop that is slowly being transformed into a production studio where we would film and make podcasts of our content for national distribution.  What I need help with is someone who can (consultant?) tell me how to build the new sets and studios so that eventually we can start shooting there instead of building kitchens.  Its probably an unusual request but I was hoping you might know someone in industry that helps to set up production studios, I'm not expecting this for free and willing to pay someone for their time.  Specifically I know I want a sound studio (because I plan to broadcast or produce a radio show, that is tied to website), and a few production studios where we can shoot students and our specific dvds (for sale).  We will also be on location shooting projects and doing editing ourselves.  

Right now I have a canon dslr and some lights and audio equip but know the actual set locations and lighting is critical.  I just don't want to build something and then have to rebuild it when professional says it won't work well.  I really want to produce exciting high quality content (opposite of old guys teaching woodworking) and don't mind learning and growing to get to that point.  This will be my new career going forward (I'm 45).  Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
      Participant

Well, first of all, you have the advantage of a blank canvas – your workshop.  What I would recommend is planning a gradual transition…perhaps designing a small soundbooth and empty set, while paying the bills with your current occupation.  It sounds like this is already in place.

While sets are critical, training is a fairly forgiving niche.  As long as your audio is reasonably clean, your background(s) aren't distracting and you provide several video angles to illustrate what you're trying to accomplish, you can probably get by.

I do recommend starting production ASAP.  This way you can learn from your efforts and make corrections as you go along.  ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR WORK!. 

Feel free to learn from others.  I'm constantly reviewing everything I see:  TV, movies, YouTube, Vimeo, etc.  If you like, you're welcome to peruse my YouTube channel and get some ideas of what you like and don't like:  http://www.youtube.com/user/DesignCBTs

Last, try to have a thick skin and NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Good luck πŸ™‚

Participant

Another factor I neglected to mention – sets don't have to be permanent.  If you design a simple upper scrim, heck, it could be sheets or blankets, you could use office partitions as  your background.  This would give you a "professional" set that you can tear down and put up in minutes.

Going national doesn't have to mean going broke πŸ˜‰

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap