GH4

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

So I've just been reading preview of Panasonics new GH4 and the 4K option looks amazing. 4K at 30 fps and 1080p at 60fps. You would be able to get awesome stills from a video clip. To me, it seems as though the gap between photography and videography is closing.

Is the record button going to become the new shutter button?!

Ian

Hi Ian – I think the answer is yes.  I was convinced of this when I saw this video about the 4K Canon 1D C last year:

Unfortunately, this camera costs $11,500 (on sale at Amazon) – so it is irrelevant to most people.

But at $1698 for a Panasonic GH4, still photos from 4K video make a lot more sense.

I have the GH4 on pre-order and this is going to be one of the first things I try when it gets here.

Cheers,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Agreed. 12 000 dollars is not the price the general public are going to spend on camera like that!

Thanks for the video though – really great to watch. The Panasonic GH4 does make for a good choice. I'm buying it to. Should be here in May and I am excited!

Participant

I see LG is coming out with a 4K 4096×2160 monitor and I hope the new 4K TVs with HDMI 2.0 coming out later this year also have 4096 support. I think Apple is coming out with 4K monitors and iMac also since the latest OS X Mavricks 10.9.3 support 4096 4K.

Apple building support for driving 4K displays at ‘Retina’ resolution, 60Hz output from 2013 MacBook Pros

Participant

The record button is the shutter button evolved. 

In many ways, this is the evolution of the motor drive too. Many sports photogs would burn up rolls of film covering sports just to get that one or two great images like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Orr.jpg

Ray Lussier used a Nikon which I believe he once said had a motor drive on it and shot a bunch of images, capturing the iconic image of Bobby Orr.

A 4K series of images really is a long way from the old days of black and white. Imagine how that image would look in 4K.

It just gets better and better!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition,...
homicide-bootstrap