GH2 video file continuity problem

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I just shot long CONTINOUS video clip (about 1 h) using Panasonic GH2 camera and Lexar Platinum II 16GB SDHC 100x card and found that the whole shot was splitted into 3 files (say, 35min, 1min and 25min). End of one file seems to mach with the beginning on another. Is this normal? Moreover, close to the end, camera showed some message that I did not had time to read and stopped shooting!  Is this problem with my camera, card or something else?

Hi sad – the split between 4GB files is normal (it is a limit of the file system used on SD cards).

Panasonic is one of the few manufacturers that has chosen to incorporate software outside of its camcorder line that stitches these files together seamlessly for playback, so you can watch or edit them as if they were a single file.  Panasonic has also engineered its still/video hybrid cameras to reduce the tendency to overheating. Canon and Sony have chosen not to do this.

That said, the warning at the 1 hour point may have been that you were running out of memory – or perhaps you were close to the 65-70 minute actual recording time limits set down in the specs?  The real continuous recording time limit is longer, but Panasonic lists the more conservative "actual" time to account for lens selection and environmental conditions that may affect the camera's ability to dissipate heat.

I have shot hour+ events with GH1, GH2 and GH3 cameras for a couple of years and have never run into this problem – so I suspect that your 16GB card ran out of memory.  I use a 128GB card to give myself plenty of room.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

HI, Bill:

Thank you for comprehensive reply.

It looks like my problems are due to insufficient card speed. I use Lexar platunum II  x100 class 10:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801553-REG/Lexar_LSD16GBSBNA100_16GB_Platinum_II_100x.html

that is rated 30 Gb/s but only only 9 Gb/s write speed (unfortunately I noticed this difference only now).

I'm advanced amater, going to use GH3 for long (~1h) shots with mamximum quality that GH3  can deliver (I know that it allows for higher bitrate than GH2). What will be your MINIMUM recommendations for SDCH card? – what you recommend above seems too expensive for me.

Thank you,

Alexei

Hi Alexei,

I use a $100 Kingston 128GB SDXC with my GH3 and a $50 64GB Kingston SDXC with my GH2. The 128GB card has no trouble with 50mbps IPB recording on the GH3.

Hope these prices work for you πŸ™‚

Best,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Bill:

I noticed that these cards use ExFAT formatting, not FTA32. Is this parameter is more important than high writing speed (say, >25MB/s)?

Alexei

Alexei – ExFAT allows high capacity SDXC cards like the Kingston 128GB to store more information than the FAT32 format used by lower capacity SDHC cards such as the Kingston 32GB, for example. This is completely separate from write speed.

Good explanation here.

Best,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Bill:

I understand the difference between file formatting and writing speed; my question was what is more important for solving my problem.

Unfortunately, nothing helps.

I bought Samsung SDXC UHS-1 PRO card (64Gb capacity, 40Mb/s writing speed) and shot 1.5h long clip (no stops – this is my only success). I created 4 MTS files 4.18Gb each and converted them into MPG files using AUNSOFT MTS converter7 Then I imported them into Adobe Premier Pro CS4 and stiched all these files. Finally I created one mpeg2 file.THe result is: at each stich between two files video freezes for 0.5s while audio seems to be smooth.

Any other recommendations before I give up GH2?

Thank you,  Alexei

Thanks for the explanation, Alexei.  I think the problem is either CS4 or the transcode to MPEG, not your SD card.  Instead of buying a faster card, you may need a different editor.  Even if you upgrade to CS6, spanned files are a problem for Adobe CS:

"There is a known issue for Adobe Premiere Pro CS6. AVCHD files that are spanned can cause the system to freeze up while scrubbing the software.  Also, the audio can sometimes disappear after a set amount of playback.

A spanned file has an extended duration, wherein the camera creates separate video files. These files don't appera to be separate when imported into Adobe Premiere Pro, only if looking at the video files in Finder or Windows Explorer.

At this time, there is no fix for this issue.

For now, the best workarounds are to make sure that when recording, keep the video files short enought that the camera does not use the file spanning feature. Also, transcoding the footage to a different format resolves the issues as well."

I recommend Sony's $65 Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12, which will allow you to edit the spanned files without transcoding.  With Sony editing programs, I have had no problems with playback or editing of .mts files.  Could save you from having to buy either new cards or a new camera.

Again, hope this is helpful!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Sorry, Bill, I forgot to mention that when I watch MTS or MPG files uising WIndows Media Player, I see video freeze at the very beginning of 2nd and 3rd files (but not 1st!). So, I think this is GH2 and/or card problem. I will experiment with different record modes (say 720p instead of 1080i) but I doubt this will help7,

Thank you for your time,

Alexei

Participant

O.K., now I have the solution from personal-view.com:

Before converting MTS files into MPG files, I have to concatenate all 4Gb files into one using windows command

copy /b A.mts + B.mts AB.mts

Then AB.mts file has seamless stitch of A.mts and B.mts and can be used for conversion and editing in Adobe Premier.

Participant

If this is anything like the Ag-Ac90 I found the 4g problem fix in the free book I had to send away for. When importing the files don't just import them drag over the entire file that says "PRIVATE" then import to the NLE it should know what to do. Hope this helps

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best digital storage for video editors β€” 2021

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap