Getting Back In the Game…Need Advice

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Getting back to videography…when I left I was using the Panasonic DVX100, obviously I need an upgrade.  I'll be doing wedding videography, sports (filming football/basketball games and recruiting videos) and a little bit of random event stuff.

I would love to go ahead and get two cameras.  My budget is around 3K.  I will be editing with FCP X, if that helps.  Apologize for such a broad question but I would love advice from those who know instead of just reading random reviews.  Thanks in advance

For half your budget, you can get 2 Panasonic GH3 cameras.  You'll still need to buy lenses, but you should be able to fit that into your remaining budget.  GH4s, with the ability to film in 4K, would be ideal, but you can't get 2 of them with your budget.  You could, however, get one, and have plenty of budget left to get lenses and other accessories.

For weddings, sports and events, I recommend a camcorder such as the new 4K JVC GY-HM200 for a little less than $2450.  This camera fits within your budget and has the XLR inputs, built-in NDs, SDI out, zebras and dual card recording you expect from a pro camera – features missing from cameras like the GH3 or GH4 without expensive add-on accessories.

Nice review of the HM200 from Rick Young at Movie Machine here:

4K beauty shots here (please select 2160p and watch at your monitor's highest resolution):

I rented the HM200's big brother (the Super 35, interchangeable lens JVC GY-LS300last weekend and these cameras produce terrific image quality for the price.

As Rick says in the video, because of the efficient compression, it records to affordable cards and it edits easily.

After renting the camera, I am still planning to buy it.

As a second camera, you might want to pick up something like this $650 open box 4K Panasonic FZ1000 for B-roll and second angles.

Here's what this little camera can do:

Hope this is helpful and welcome back!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2020

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
homicide-bootstrap