General help

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Noob here getting into videography so I have so many questions that it is overwhelming. My projects right now consist of marketing videos for agricultural equipment that I sell, sport hype videos of my kids, and I will be getting paid to do some action sport films of back country snowmobiling in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. That said, here is the equipment that I currently own:
      ~ DJI Phantom 3 Standard
      ~ DJI Osmo Mobile with an iPhone 7 Plus
      ~ Nikon D3300
      ~ Canon HV30

Some of the issues that I am seeing is that I use Power Director 14 for post production. With so many different frame rates, lighting differences, pace of action, etc… my final product is decent but it is off color, jittery, and overall just amateur looking. How do you make buttery smooth low light slow motion film? Any suggestions for my equipment, editing software, ect??? Should I stick with it or find another hobby…like crocheting blankets?

Hi ttmallory,
      It sounds like your main issue with the jitters is the fact that, while the D3300 can shoot progressive video, the HV30’s video is interlaced. Usually, when you try to re-render interlaced video into progressive, it just looks bad. My recommendation, especially for this age, is to only shoot in progressive. Interlaced video is the bastard child of old technology. Everything now is progressive. If you were to try and upload interlaced video to YouTube, YouTube would reprocess it into progressive, and thus make it look bad. Always shoot progressive.
      As far as the color goes, I’m not familiar with the setup of your cameras. But if both of them have a function to let you select a white balance, then it is relatively easy to get them to at least match enough to be satisfactory. You can set up a white foam board that you can get at Walmart, then point each camera at it and have the camera select that as white for its white balance. That way, they are both interpreting the same color as white. You may still notice some subtle differences in color, but it should at least be close enough to be usable.
      For post production, I highly recommend Adobe Premiere. But if you shy away from a subscription based application, you can get Vegas from Magix. The cost is high, but you’ll own the software, and Vegas really does have a very easy-to-use and understandable interface.
      For good slow motion, I would probably recommend the Panasonic GH4. You can find a pretty good deal on one here: http://amzn.to/2fm1IYL. It only shoots at 30 FPS in 4K. But if you’re only shooting 1080p, you can get frame rates as high as 96 FPS.
      For low light, the king would have to be the Sony a7S II, sold here: http://amzn.to/2fgVLNJ. Watch Philip Bloom’s video that he created with the first generation of this camera at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1W-bPyYR0k. Watch his review on it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8qmccMniSI. This camera can also give you some good high frame rates for slow motion. Now if this is a bit too pricey, the GH4 that I mentioned before works fine for me in most situations. But there really is nothing like the a7S when it comes to low light.
      Finally, blankets are nice, but wow me with some macaroni art. 😉
      I hope this information helps you.

Man…thanks for your input. I am consumed with this now. I will take all the help I can get. I now realize that my camcorder is my bottleneck and that has to change. As much as I would like to be able to spend $5000 on a camcorder, this is just a hobby for me so that is not an option if I would like to stay married. I notice that many people like the DSLR option for doing video but it just feels so clunky to me to use running the manual focus. I ruin more shots than I keep becuase I am always screwing with the dang focus right in the middle of shots. Sports is such a fast pace to keep up with especially in football so focus is a nightmare for me. I find the camcorders much more intuitive to use. I realize I am looking for a unicorn in the forest here needing budget camera with high fps that can handle fast action in low light situations but that is the hunt that I am on

Ah, I hear you. For sports you will probably want something a little more versatile. I have an old Sony HXR-NX30u that has served me well. Sony has since discontinued that model, but you can look into the HXR-NX100, shown here: http://amzn.to/2fjS0Y3. It will give you 1080p at 60 FPS. The focus can be manual or automatic. And it’s priced way less than my NX30u was back in the day. 😉 This will pretty much give you the whole package; you’ll just need to buy the SD cards.

george fernandisgeorge fernandis
      Participant

Thanks………..

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lights for video production — 2021

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap