Frustration in attempts at finding low-light camcorder

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hi Team. 

I am attempting to find a camcorder that shoots exceptional extreme low light w/o the need for me to lug around my own lighting. 

I see time and time again the sony a7s pop up in most every one of my search results. 

Problem I have with the a7s is:

-no image stabilization

-camera body not camcorder body

Can any of you point me in the right direction? I have seen the ax100 come up on occasion but would prefer less rolling shutter. 

My budget is $5k 

Thank you in advance. 

P.S. I have heard rumors that the a7sii is coming this year. Rumor has it that it will attain image stabilization. Again, though it isn't meant to record video from an "ergonomic" perspective. Should I simply suck it up and wait for the a7sii?

Lastly, I do not need 4k video recording ability.

If you don't need 4K, the best low light camcorder in your price range is probably the 1080p, $3499 Canon C100 (with dual pixel autofocus). This camera shoots clean video up to ISO 16000 and ISO 20000 cleans up nicely with a little de-noiser.

Here is a low light example shot at ISO 16000 with existing light in a nightclub setting:

Unfortunately, the camera body isn't stabilized, but Canon lens stabilization is very good.  The shooter in the example above used a monopod with a fluid head and it turned out very well.

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your decision!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Bill, many thanks for your post. 

• Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap