Frame Sync Question

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

I have a question regarding a reference signal being tied to a specific video resolution.  I have a Sony HXR-MC2000 camera that I'm using with a Teradek Bolt Pro wireless transmitter/receiver going into a Ross Crossover Solo switcher.  The camera and Bolt support 1080p and my switcher is 1080i.  When I connected the Bolt receiver and set the switcher to use it's built-in frame sync I got complete static.  I thought that maybe the internal sync of the Bolt was fighting with the switcher's sync, so I turned the switcher's sync off.  My picture showed up clearly, but gradually the frame shifted upwards, so that the top of my frame showed up at the bottom of my screen. 

Long story short, when I switched my camera's output resolution to 720p and turned on the internal framesync on the switcher it resolved my issue.  But when I had the camera at 1080i using the internal framesync I got static.

My theory as to why this happened is that the Bolt was outputting a 1080 reference signal, but when it was only receiving a 720 signal it stopped outputting the reference because the resolution of the video did not match.  Does this make sense?  Can a reference signal be linked to a specific video resolution?  I'm glad I was able to fix my problem, but it's driving me crazy trying to figure out why 720 worked when 1080 wouldn't.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Participant

This is a question that really should be addressed to Ross. I've owned a few of their broadcast products over the years and have always found them to be very responsive to my queries.

http://www.rossvideo.com/contact-us/tech-support.html

Mike

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap