Finding work

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hello video makers! I am bored today (not for lack of work, but lack of will to do said work) so while avoiding my responsibilities I wanted to pose a question for the video maker community. How do you find work? I know this can be a personal question as we don't want others to move in on our turf. So be as vague or as detailed as you wish just remember we are all here to learn so no flaming or hurtful comments.

When I started out I searched online for video contests and I actually won some money doing this, but for all the time spent I felt I could make more doing other things. I started moving out of the virtual world and into the real one (a scary thought I know) I would basically go to businesses door to door and ask if they needed help getting a video online, this was actually less effective and more time consuming than the online video contests. I finally got some jobs through my network; I have friends in the business education sector they needed help and I was always the first and only one on their call list. I am in a unique situation I live in a small town in northern WI surrounded by other small towns. However the entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well in my area. There are plenty of people looking for video; my main problem has been connecting with these folks I have found my network of friends and colleagues to be the best resource money cant buy. I am not overloaded with work I get more offers for free or cheap work than I care to count, but I love the area I live in and as long as I can pay the bills I'm not going anywhere.

That is a little about me feel free to share as much or as little as you want. This would also be a good place for people starting out to ask questions.

Justin, great topic. Video is like any other service business and basic business marketing techniques apply. There is an endless supply of business marketing ideas at the library and on the internet. The best ones are the ones that will work for you. Everybody has a different personality and different strengths & weaknesses. The best advice is play to your strengths. In your case, it sounds like your strength is in networking. Since you have identified the local entrepeneurial spirit as alive & well, that looks like an area to concentrate on. I had a similar situation and what I did to promote my services was put together a short video profiling local businesses, I was then able to offer that video to the local chamber of commerces, rotary clubs and other civic organizations. I offered it to the local papers and tv stations. I set up a small display at the library and at each of the businesses fetaured with a supply of small dvd mini discs. I carried around a supply of discs and handed them out whenever I met someone. As long as the quality of the video content is good ( and it should be because its a commercial for your business) people will watch it. Don't forget to aske them to pass it on once they've watched it. The whole idea is to get your name out there. After you've made the rounds, rinse & repeat. The idea is to get your name out there then supplement it with direct mail, flyers and any other basic marketing techniques that work for you.  I have had success because people remember my business more & easier when I do something unique. I am anxious to hear from some of the other readers.     

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing; that is a great idea with the mini discs, and the chamber I didn't think of that. I am also eagerly awaiting others to join in.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best camera stabilizers for video — 2021

A camera stabilizer lets you capture smooth shots without sacrificing freedom of movement. Here’s a look at the best handheld stabilizers available today.
homicide-bootstrap