Finding classes in my area?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I'm an experienced still photographer with years of doing studio model photography and local newspaper photography under my belt and I want to up my game with video.    I had an old HV20 which died recently and I've also shot video with my D800, and I'll be buying a new higher-end camcorder sometime this year.

In the meantime I'm looking for classes, courses and workshops in video.   But I have a good day job so these would have to be evenings and weekends.  I'm especially interested in composition and framing, use of sliders, dollies and similar gear, sound recording, postproduction, and maybe a good workshop or course in documentary filmmaking.

I live in eastern Massachusetts and there's a ton of schools around here including several with degree-granting filmmaking programs.   But they all seem to be for day-students.   I was surprised that the New England School of Photography (NESOP), where I've taken excellent evening programs in studio lighting, fashion, figure, and other topics doesn't seem to offer much.

I feel like living in a large metropolitan, cosmopolitan area like this, there must be something around here but I'm not looking in the right place.    Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I had similar issues–I had been away from video for ten years and had completely missed the Digital Revolution. In my case, I'm lucky enough to live in Southern California, where one of the best programs in the country is offered by Saddleback College, a local community college. I can't claim that community colleges are as good in the rest of the country, but it may be worth checking out.

Participant

Yeah, I did check out the local community college –  they have nothing for video production for evening or continuing-ed students –  only for fulltime day students.

Greater Boston probably has more colleges and universities and random educational resources than any similar-sized metropolitan area in the US, so I feel like there must be something around here but I just can't seem to find it.

What I'd ideally like to find would be semester or school-year long course on documentary filmmaking.     That would be enough time to actually develop a project and work with the other students and with teacher being able to review our progress, and offer critiques and suggestions.

Thank you for responding to my post.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best 360 cameras available — 2020

360-degree video is a brand new medium driven by new 360 camera technology. However, its immersive qualities create unique technological challenges.
homicide-bootstrap