External Sound Help

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello everyone,

My Canon Powershot (dont remember rest of model name), has no microphone input, I really want more clearer audio. Should I get a clapperboard and an external microphone?
      I do not know what external mics are out there so will anyone help me on a technique or giving me on suggestions on what to buy and such. I have a $500 budget. I can edit and sync 2 different clips of audio.

Participant

you need a mic and a recorder. There are some great mic's in your budget that will fit on the hotshoe of you camera. Look at the Rode Stereomic. Feed that mic into a Zoom recorder or somethng like that. Clap your hads after they are both on and you don;'t need a clapperboard.

I agree with BruceMol in that you will want a microphone and an external audio recorder. You can then sync the video and audio in post.  There is a 3rd party plugin that does that for you with just a few clicks of the mouse.  It is called PluralEyes, and it's a product from Red Giant.

Additionally, if you have a person that can operate a boom pole, you might consider the Rode NTG-2 Condensor Shotgun Microphone Kit.  This way, you can get the microphone closer to your subject.

Good luck.

Participant

Thanks for replying everyone. So what do I need to buy? A rode stereomic and an external voice recorder? 

That depends on a few things.  First, if your camera has a 1/8" input for a microphone, and you're OK with your mic being on your camera and not close to your subject, thus sacrificing somewhat on your audio quality, then a Rode Stereo VideoMic Pro should work for you, and you may not need the audio recorder because you'll be recording the audio directly to the camera.  However, if your camera does not have in input for a microphone, or you want to be able to get your mic closer to your subject for better sound, then you will want to go with something like the NTG-2 or other shotgun mic, and plug it into an audio recorder.  You'll also want some sort of boom pole, or boom stand if you don't have another person to operate the boom pole.  You can get a basic boom pole or boom stand for under $100.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Professional Fixed-Lens Camcorder Buyer’s Guide

Best camcorders for any video shooter — 2020

Professional camcorders are often smaller, lighter, cheaper, and have more controls than other cameras. These are the best on the market today.
homicide-bootstrap