External Recorder/Sync vs. pre-amp into camera for DSLR audio

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Production Gear External Recorder/Sync vs. pre-amp into camera for DSLR audio

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I'm shooting with a Canon T3i (manual audio control but no built-in headphone jack) and using Magic Lantern to get audio metering during shooting. I've been using a Tascam DR-40 external recorder and splitting the line-out to a pair of headphones and into the camera. I've manually synced the audio in post, but I also tried a trial version of Plural Eyes and liked it.

I'm going pro with my shoots, so for the best quality am I better off staying with the external recorder (and maybe springing $160 for Plural Eyes?) or spending $400 for the Juiced Link RA-222 Riggy Assist to get two XLR inputs, a true headphone out and bring the pre-amped audio directly into the camera and skip the sync? Thanks!

Participant

No, definiltey stick with your external audio device. That's how it's done these days. In regards to PluralEyes…

There's acutally an app called DreamSync, a standalone application that's built for the novice user as well as professionals. It syncs your footage and audio into one single clip so that it can then be imported into applications like iMovie, Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Premiere, Final Cut X, or any other editing suite. 

http://www.dreamsyncapp.com (Price: $79 and only $39 at the moment for pre-orders until next month.)

Both apps are effective depending on your editing workflow and how much (or little) time you want to dedicate to learning another interface for syncing audio/video footage. 

Participant

Bob you didn't mention what NLE you're using, but Adobe Premiere Pro CC has a very good audio synch app built into it. I don't use Final Cut but I believe it has one now too. I use Plural Eyes, because I had it before I started using CC, but I find myself using the CC synch app more and more these days.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap