external hard drives

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

I use a PC.  I have a client that uses Macs only. I am transferring his home videos to an external hard drive for him.  The hard drive is NTFS formatted.  I understand that he will not be able to write to that drive from his Mac, but that he should be able to read the files.  Is that correct?   

I also undertsand that if I reformat the drive to FAT32 before I start using it, then he would be able to read as well as write to it with his Mac.   However, the FAT32 has a file size limit of 4GB, which we know is too little for big video files.

So my question is this … With the NTFS hard drive will he be able to copy the files on that drive to his Mac-formatted hard drive?  In other words, I know he can READ it, but does that also mean he can copy/move the files to his mac formatted hard drive?

Participant

Buy a great program called MacDrive (it's only $50 and worth every penny!!) and you'll be able to give your client material on a drive that he can easily read from and write to.

I use it regularly as I deal with folks in post houses who use FCP and I sue Sony Vegas.

Mike

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment — 2021

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and disadvantages, and...
homicide-bootstrap