export data rate?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I exported a video with H264 to mp4. Full HD at 1080.
      It does not run smoothly on my computer.
      It is 7 minutes, 1.54 Gb. Data rate 31044 kbps.
      It needs to go to a client who is not a video pro.
      The reason it is not running smoothly, is that the data rate?
      Should I export with different settings? what settings are recommended for this situation? (I do not know on what type of computer the client will run it)

Participant

Without knowing the specs of your computer, I’d still be willing to bet that your computer is the problem. Defrag your hard drive, close as many unused apps as possible. Is this a Windows PC or a Mac? How old is it? MP4s should have no problem running on any machine built since 2010.

Try taking a copy of the video on a USB 3.0 flash drive to another computer with USB 3.0. If it plays well on that machine, then your PC has resource issues.

Thank you, I’ll try that.

31Mbps (31,000kbps) is getting into Blu-ray playback quality, but I agree with Ed, in that just about any semi-modern, decently-maintained computer should be able to play that back without dropping frames. When I send videos to clients for approval, I usually send them a “smaller” file. By that I mean they’ll get a medium-quality 720p video, maybe in stereo, but usually mono (most of our videos are spoken word anyway), and at a data rate of about 5Mbps. I usually send the link via Dropbox, so I explain that they might want to download the file to their computer by clicking on the arrow icon, and watch it locally, because Dropbox compresses adds additional compression for their viewer. I also try to find out what service or playback system they’ll be using and explain that they’ll get a high-quality video file upon approval. They understand everything and are happy to be able to easily view and pass the file to others along with my boilerplate explanation. If I can’t find out what their playback system is going to be, the final video I send them will look good, but also not be so big that I think their corporate hand-out laptops won’t be able to play it. Sometimes a bit of trial and error may be needed to find that balance between playback-ability and image quality – it looks a better than “good enough”, but still plays back smoothly.

Chris Sebes
      Senior Video Editor
      http://www.MediaMixStudios.com

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2021

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your specific situation. The...
homicide-bootstrap