Empty tape shells

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Does anyone know if there is a business that sells just the empty tape shell for Mini-DV or 8mm?  I've seen empty tape shells for VHS, so that if you need a whole new shell to repair a tape you can get them, but I can't seem to find any place that has shells for the other formats.

I've found no such resources but it has been a good while since I tried, or needed, to do so.

What I HAVE done is accumulated many, many old tapes, retired from shooting or even service as archive tapes, and one the extremely rare occasion I need to replace damaged case, I've used one of these to house footage from a cracked or broken one, salvaging the tape enclosed.

Pretty much did the same thing with VHS tape back in the day,always having a collection of recyclable VHS cases on hand that could be put back into service, rather than purchasing or stocking empty shells.

Participant

Unfortunately all my tapes are the ones where the manufacturers used the stupid plastic snaps, and to crack any of those open would probably destroy the case.  None of them have the screws, unlike VHS, which is stupid (but makes business sense from the manufacturers pov).

It does require a good bit of patience and I often have mishaps but it has been my only solution. I have occasionally used Superglue to weld them back together, granted with dubious longevity. I could very well be dead, however, before they fall apart and the client calls back πŸ˜‰

Participant

I did a Google search and turned up one place:

http://www.tapecenter.com/c0emvhsvidsh.html

I know nothing about them and they don't mention 8mm that I could find, but it might be worth checking them out and see if they know.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites β€” 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap