Editing on Lenovo laptop computer

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I'm considering purchasing a Lenovo laptop to do editing with Pinnacle 15. Down the road I'm looking into getting the Cyberlink Power Director. I don't have a large budget to purchase top-of-the line products.

Post your opinions. Thanks!
      Participant

Depends on the system spec's. I edit on a MSI GT60 laptop quite a bit when on the go but it was a little pricey. I find it advisable to exceed the system spec's of the software as much as you can for render speeds and eliminate any crashing. In your case I would think ahead a couple years and look at the system spec's for software you might grow into down the road.

I'm running Adobe Production Premium CS5 on this

GT60 0NC-004US

Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM Processor

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit

15.6" Full HD Anti-reflective Display (16:9; 1920 x 1080)

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX670M discrete graphics (GDDR5 3GB VRAM)

Accelerated performance with MSI TDE Technology

Full-color programmable backlit keyboard by SteelSeries

Killer Game Networking

MSI Cooler Boost Technology

Dynaudio Premium Sound Speakers with THX TruStudio PRO™

1.0TB (7200RPM; 500GB x 2 in RAID 0)

12GB DDR3 1600MHz system memory

DVD Super Multi

USB 3.0 for high speed data transfer

HDMI 1.4 (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) output

Built-in 720p HD webcam

Gold flashed audio jack ports with amplifier

802.11 b/g/ n Wireless LAN with Bluetooth

What are the spec's of the system you are looking at?

Participant

This is the specs of the Lenovo IdeaPad. 

3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i5-3210M processor

Features a 3MB L3 cache and 2.5GHz processor speed with Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz.
      Intel® Core™ i5 processor
      Features smart 4-way processing performance with a speed boost.
      Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
      Delivers extra performance when you need it and increased energy efficiency when you don't. Intel® HD graphics provide extra graphics power for your laptop when you need it.
      6GB DDR3 memory
      For multitasking power, expandable to 8GB.
      Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive
      Create custom DVDs and CDs.
      15.6" WXGA widescreen display
      With 1366 x 768 resolution showcases movies and games in stunning clarity.
      Intel® Wireless Display
      Wirelessly transmits streamed or downloaded movies, TV shows, music, photos and more from your laptop, network or the Internet to your TV (NETGEAR Push2TV adapter required, not included).
      750GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
      Offers plenty of storage capacity and fast read/write times.
      Intel® HD Graphics 4000
      For lush images and vivid detail. HDMI output for connection to an HDTV.
      Built-in webcam
      Makes it easy to chat with and send video mail to family and friends in 720p resolution.
      1 USB 3.0 port and 2 USB 2.0 ports
      For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.
      Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n)
      Connect to the Internet without wires.
      Bluetooth interface
      Easily link with other Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as a mobile phone or MP3 player.
      Built-in 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN
      For quick and easy wired Web connection.
      Weighs 4.9 lbs. and measures just 1" thin
      For easy portability.
      Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit operating system preinstalled
      Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.

Participant

I think you’ll be fine. Its not going to be smoking fast on render times with HD , especially if you do anything with uncompressed files. But the importance of that comes down to the volume of work you are doing and level of graphics. The only thing that jumps out at me is the use of just one 5400rpm drive for both software to run on and render to at the same time. If it becomes a problem you may have to configure it to render to an external through the USB3 port, it will be slow but could avoid crash issues on large projects. The screen resolution is not ideal but its not going to kill you.

I have a friend running Pinnacle 15 on a similar system with a little slower CPU than what you are looking at and he’s “Functional” let’s say. His biggest problem is being impatient with the render times.

Participant

no matter how fast your computer is I would recomend getting an external hard drive for storage of your raw files You software can find the files and when yopu are  workin you wont be reading and writing data to the same drive simultaneuosly which was a problem with Pinnicle a while ago. The isue that Woody mentions is typical,

Participant

I mostly do news gathering. Most of my videos are under 5 minutes. I don't mind waiting for rendering. I can do other stuff while rendering. Thanks, guys!

Participant

There was a time when 5min could be a two hour render on a laptop but I don't think you'll be anywhere near that. I think you'll be just fine for that type of work.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap