Editing .mov files

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Hi, I’m new to this forum so hope this question’s n the right section.
      I’m a portrait/wedding photographer and have been having a go at videoing, nothing serious just my kids thai boxing fights. I’m using canon 6d which records .mov files and when I load them into windows movie maker they seem to lose a little bit of quality and then when I save the movie they save in mp4 and loose a lot of quality. What can I do to stop the videos loosing quality?
      Thanks

Participant

Get a better NLE. Movie maker is free and as such is VERY basic in what it can do. There are lots of others out there for under $100 that can handle .mov files and give you decent quality on your final render.

Mike

Participant

Ditto.
      Vegas Movie Studio, Corel, Magix, Pinnacle, AVS4You, Serif, etc.

If you are a serious wedding photographer you will likely have some serious post-production tools – likely Adobe Photoshop or equivalent. The same mentality applies to videography. I would avoid anything *free* if you want a professional product.

Most of the serious photographers and videographers I work with are Mac users. But there are some strong Windows Video editors – Sony Vegas Pro and Adobe Premier Pro are excellent tools.

If you are not looking for professional results, Adobe Preimier Elements will bridge the gap between free and professional tools for about $99.

Both Adobe tools are available for a 30 day trial before committing to the purchase as well.

Thanks for the advice it’s much appreciated. I purchased vegas movie studio but there is still a loss of quality when I save the video onto a disk. It’s now saving it as an mpeg rather than mp4 which the windows programme did but the quality loss is still obvious. Is this normal? Could this have something to do with the camera settings I used to record the video?

Participant

It’s rendering (saving) it as an mpeg file because that’s what you told it to render as.
      Movie Studio has a number of different render options with mp4 being one of them.
      If you haven’t already done so, the manual is a great place to start. Sony has a number of tutorials on their site at http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/training/moviestudio that are well worth your time watching as you learn the software.

Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike. The problem is why I burn a dvd straight from Movie Studio. I can render in different file types when I want to burn it to my hard drive, but I only get an mpeg option when burning straight to a dvd and the quality is poor. Is this how you would go about burning a dvd…….straight from Movie Studio?
      I have been looking at the tutorials but cant seem to find what I want to know.
      Thanks

Participant

If you are used to seeing HD (720/1080) on YouTube, DVD just won’t please the eye anymore. Even the highest quality setting (if your video is short enough) will not produce HD on a DVD. For HD, you are going to have to buy a BD burner.

Participant

Steve said what I was going to say. A DVD is only standard definition video and as such only has 1/6 the information that an HD video does so you’re going to have to learn to live with the quality loss or invest in a Blu-ray recorder.

Mike

Thanks very much for the replies

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition,...
homicide-bootstrap