Editing help

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hi Everyone, I’m new to the video editing side of things, I’ve been running a YouTube channel for a few months but all I’ve been posting are previous livestream videos from Twitch so it’s a straight forward export.

Today I’ve tried to create my first video not from a live stream. I’ve recorded a game from my Xbox through an Elgato HD Pro capture card, all seemed to go fine.

I’ve come to edit my video using Hitfilm 4 Express and noticed that as the video goes on it seems to be going into fast forward meaning the visual is speeding up and the audio sounds like a chipmunk. I tried to use Handbrake to change the video to CFR but that didn’t make things any better.

Can anyone help me with this so I can upload this video to YouTube?

palladini971palladini971
      Participant

What are you editing your Videos on? I can recommend a program that has multiple timelines and can PIP, Like Pinnacle Studio. But to run that Program or most mid range editing Programs, you need a Desktop Computer, with a good Graphics Card and a Surround Sound Audio Card, these two latter are a cards that are extra components that fit into the expansion ports of your computer’s motherboard. The Program can run on an off the shelf laptop, but the moment you press render, that cheap laptop will lock up and be unusable for anything for a couple of hours while the computer runs at 100% for the time it need to process the video.
      http://www.pinnaclesys.com/

Participant

It sounds like your problem with speeding up is related to frame rate or refresh rate. Many games use high rates. If your rendering program is using a different rate it may result in the speeding. It seems the speeding is cumulative. Maybe not noticeable early in the video, but grows with time. Send a note to your editing software company tech support and they will probably give you the solution. Make sure you get all the specs on the original clips you capture. Sometimes just a right click Properties will give you information, or else load into your editing program then right click the clip and see if that helps. Doing this might even help you solve the problem yourself. The frame rates and all other factors going into the editing program will work best if they match the going out rendering. You may have to double render. Once at the same frame rate and resolution, etc, then downgrade a second render for upload. On youtube for my videos I have found wmv 720p is best combination of HD quality and file size to upload. I shoot in HD or 4K, then render. A good software editing program should maintain speed even if different frame rates or resolution is selected. I’m not familiar with Hitfilm at all. You might try free trial versions of other software, or free software like MovieMaker to see if there’s any change. The other item I notice, after just checking out Hitfilm, is they have many add-ons for extra charge unless you buy their Pro version, which comes with all of them. One of the add-ons is for mpg2 or AVCHD; common HD file types. If you’re trying to work with any of these files you may have problems with Hitfilm until you upgrade. From the looks of it, Hitfilm free version is just a come-on and you must buy add-on packs to make it work properly. Just a guess.

Do you know how at many frames per second your original video was shot, and how many FPS it was rendered? If you’re rendering at a lower FPS than the original footage, this could account for the speed difference in playback. Think of it this way – if the footage was shot at 30fps,and you render it at 24 fps, some programs may try to cram the extra 6 fps into each second of playback. Your render settings should match the fps of the original footage.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Canon lenses — 2021

There are a number of Canon lenses on the market for both their DSLR and mirrorless cameras, these are our picks for EF, EF-S and RF mounts.
homicide-bootstrap