Editing An Interview

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I recently interviewed a subject where he was the only one on camera (I just let him talk) and ended up recording over 30 minutes of very good material. My question concerns editing that interview. In post there are a number of places in the interview where I would end his discussion of one subject and then go to another. I would usually insert a fade for the transition but on 2 or 3 occasions I inserted some b-roll or a picture. I prefer the fade but I'm wondering if there is a better way?  What is the best way to cover the transition created by the edit? Thanks 

Participant

I shoot several interviews each year ranging from 30 – 60 min. and edit them down to 8 – 10 min. long.  I use a lot of b-roll (video and stills) to cover up the edits. Examples of this can be seen at http://www.stclaircollege.ca/alumni/aod.html

Mike

Participant

Other than fades, b roll, the occasional image, I use slide transitions or fade to black with a title indicating new section. I also use scale to good effect, when I capture at 1080 and produce at 720, by cutting between 68% and 100%. For best use of that 'zoom cut' effect I line up the eyes and nose to make the transition less jarring. 

Having a cam B to cut to makes interviews so much easier to produce. 

Participant

Here's my take on the long interview format.

If there are a number of distinct topics in the interview, I will make much shorter and distinct videos of each one.

or..

For online, Wordpress will allow you to make a playlist or use a chaptered player.

Offline, use the Scenes in a DVD.

If I want to hear "Topic 4,"  I dont want to go through topic 1-3 before I get there.

Be very mindful of the attenion span nd userexperience of your viewer.

Participant

I have been doing short interviews for inclusion in blogs. Transitions are my current challengs. B-roll not workable, but I really appreciate these tips.

Participant

Traditionally fades to black and crossfades are used to denote passage of time. Cuts are thought of as instant. Jump cuts are extremely annoying. The crop and pan technique can work, but is very obvious when repeated. Broadcasters frequently use nodding shots (noddys). This works when the person speaking is talking to somebody else – as in being interviewed, but no good if the piece is to camera. All you need to do for the future is shoot some reverse angles of the camera looking at the interviewer, as if they are listening – hence the nodding. This can even be done when the interviewee has gone! Alternatively, you shoot the reverse angle over the person being interviewed’s shoulder – making sure their mouth can’t be seen. This can be done at the end when the two are having a chat – saying thanks etc etc. You edit the interview so the words make sense and slap these shots over the nasty jagged joins.

As for the wipes and slides – they cover the gaps, but do look a bit blunt!

Participant

Ahhh! Most clever. πŸ™‚

How about a slight zoom in? I have been seeing that lately, but believe I have to go from Premiere to AfterEffects to do a good job. Is this correct? We haven’t been showing an interviewer at all . . . so far!

Participant

Premiere is perfect capable of scale and movement, with key framing if you need it – overkill to use AE for such simple stuff.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap