DVD-R disc plays 7 minutes then stops

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Hi all,

I’ve been researching this problem and found this website/forum. Perhaps you can help.

I have a memorex DVD-R disc from a person who shot video of a school play and burned some discs to sell to the audience. On both my Dell laptop and my Curtis DVD player hooked up to the TV, the disc plays 7 or 8 minutes (respectively) and then stops and hangs. I use VLC media player on my laptop, and I can hear it trying to play every 10 seconds or so, but it just hangs.

The files on the disc are a VIDEO_TS folder, with .BUP, .IFO, and .VOB files. There are 3 .VOB files, 2 of which are exactly the same size, just over 1 GB, and a 3rd about 612 MB.

I’m using Windows 7 with a DVD+RW drive. I think.

Anyone know why the disc isn’t working?

I don’t think it’s just my laptop, since it happens on my DVD player as well.

Thanks,
      Laura

Participant

My guess is a defective disc. Go back to the person who sold it to you and ask for a new one and try it out at his/her place to make sure it works properly.
      FYI, I never use Memorex, only Verbatim or Taiyo-Yuden as I’ve heard not so nice things about the former.

Mike

OK thanks. I’m waiting to hear if anyone else who bought one is having trouble as well. I don’t have a choice in disc brand though πŸ™
      Thanks for the help.
      Laura

Participant

Laura, it’s not unheard of to have a few or an entire spindle of bad discs so don;t be surprised if no one else has this problem. A reputable vendor will replace the disc immediately as a defective disc looks bad on him.

BTW, wasn’t saying that you have a choice. I would suggest to the vendor that he/she choose a better brand of blank media. I work at a community college. Students often bring in their own discs for copies of their work and Memorex has been one of the problem brands πŸ™ This is why I use the brands that I do and recommend.

Mike

Laura,

I have also seen disk that fail to play properly because a label was placed on the disk and cause severe vibration. as a protection the dvd readers stop when dvd’s cause to much vibration… not saying its the case but something to look at…

i must say that I have good success with Taiyo-Yuden (burned over 4000 dvd’s and got 5 bad ones…
      I print the image on all my (water-shield) dvd’s instead of putting a label

good luck,

Robert

Participant

Robert, that’s a great thought and one that I didn’t even think of. I’ve received a few DVDs with paper labels on them and I refuse to put them in any DVD player. I’ve heard horror stories about the label coming off and getting jammed in the player. I somehow doubt that any vendor would take responsibility for buying me a new one πŸ™

Mike

HI all,
      thanks for all the helpful comments. I’m going to find some Verbatim dvd’s (now, DVD-R? DVD+R? I have a dell) and just bring the defective one back and ask him to re-burn it on my own disc.

There was no label — just the usual Sharpie-written label.

Also, I heard that someone else had the same problem with her disc, so at this point I’m not too surprised.

Thanks!
      Laura

One more question though: on another note, could I just copy the files to my hard drive and re-burn on my own DVD burner? I need to learn about this stuff anyway…
      Thanks again,
      Laura

Participant

Yes you can. Copy the entire VIDEO_TS folder to your computer and burn that to a new blank disc. If you don’t have any burning software, ImgBurn and BurnAwaren are both free and easy to use. As with all free software watch when you download it as it may want you to install other software. Say NO to everything but the software you want. Good luck and feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Mike

Participant

I forgot to mention that +R or -R shouldn’t make any difference as most newer players can handle both easily. -R is more common but no problem either way.
      BTW a hand written label is, in my opinion, the sign of a real amateur πŸ™

Mike

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best video monitors β€” 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap