DVD burner vs. blu ray burner

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I have a Canon Vixia HF R52 camcorder that records in full 1920×1080 HD but I want to burn DVDs/blu ray discs on either my Toshiba Portege R835-P88 or my Toshiba Satellite P75-R7100 laptops. I want to retain as much of the full HD possible, so should I use a blu ray burner instead of the DVD burners in those computers? Common "wisdom" tells me blu ray, BUT so far NO ONE can give me any specific numbers on the ACTUAL RESOLUTION I can expect from DVD vs. Blu Ray. (Incidentally, I do not care about write speed or disc capacity or sound– all I care about is video picture quality) HELP!

Participant

I am quite interested with your question as well.  I too have often wondered about the two burners of HD quality or clarity verses blu ray. Please advise

Participant

Hi dr, there is a little confusion out there because the term DVD refers both to a process and a disc. Blu-ray likewise. The DVD disc can take about 4.7Gb of any sort of file, just as if were a USB chip. However, the DVD 'process' which formats videos, on DVD discs with menus etc. limits you video to the 480×720 size. So, to answer your question, you can put your 1080 video files on a DVD disc as read only memory (ROM) but my best guess is that you would get, maybe, 15 minutes and it will NOT play as a DVD in a plain jane DVD player. 

Blu-ray discs can handle 25Gb which, if you have a blu-ray burner, you can use as a blu-ray processed disc or as ROM. The native format for the Blu-ray process is 1080×1920 (or there abouts) aka HD. 

The name of the disc is not the process but the name of the process is the disc.

Hope that helps.

DVD's are typically encoded using the MPEG2 codec and you can get around 1 hour of footage (MPEG2) on a DVD that will play in your DVD player.  That is provided you "burn" the DVD for playback in a DVD player and not simply copy the files to a DVD.  Granted you will have better quality video if shot in HD and then downconverted to the SD size 720×480 but the quality won't be as good as it would be if you encoded it for the creation of a Blu-ray disc.  I realize some of this is just echoing the comments made by BruceMol. +1 to Bruce for the info clarifying the difference between the disc name and the process.

Participant

I forgot to mention…

Also set your shutter for a multiple of your fps. So, if you are happy with 24p, set your shutter for 24 or 48. Same for 30p, use 30 or 60.

Participant

One small addition: Be prepared to fail the first two or three times because there are a lot of equipment incompatibilities between different burning softwares and DVD players. In addition, companies that burn BluRays and DVDs for the big studios have  much better software than you can afford…but as long as you go into it with a cheerful and patient attitude, you'll be fine.

Participant

I can only tell you my experience. Tried to burn on a regular DVD. It was viewable but not good. (I normaly use to view my videos directly from hard disk or memory stick.) But to show it on the local video club, I need to bring a disk. So I brought a portable blu-ray burner (which cost NOK 900,- here in Norway [$100,-]
      And what a difference! The recordings are now just as good as directly from harddisk, if not better. I use re-recordable Blu-ray disks, so if I do mistakes I can overwrite them. (I use Sony Vegas Pro for editing, and Sony Architech software for recording to blu-ray )

Participant

abel46, the reason that you saw the difference is that DVD is Standard Definition. So for Norway, you would be going from a 1920 by 1080p image to a 720 by 576i/p image.

However, from what I’ve found, even when shooting in HD, if you are going to show the video anywhere without a computer, it is better to have a DVD, as more places will have DVD players, rather than Blu-ray players, connected to TV’s or screens, and even if the place does have a Blu-ray player, it will still play a DVD.

Participant

I am needing to purchase a DVD burner/software and necessary disks. I am shooting at 1080p with my Canon D70, but am wanting to burn the video to a format that can be easily viewed (dvd player over blu ray I imagine). Is there a way to safely convert the image/video and retain the quality all while burning to a dvd burner? Any recommendation on software/discs would be greatly appreciated! – Heather

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap