DSLR vs MILC

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello,

I'm a new member to Videomaker and am currently browsing equipment to purchase to shoot short films. I'm interested in DSLRs but I feel MILC (the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 in particular) is the way to go.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Jon

Hi Jon – I am primarily a video shooter and I sold my Canon DSLR to get a Panasonic GH2 and then a GH3 DSLM (that's what Panasonic calls their mirrorless cameras).  Here is why:

– The GH2 and GH3 are far less susceptible to shot-ruining moire than most DSLRs (with the exception of the $2950 Canon 5D Mark III and the new Nikon D5200).

– The GH3 has a headphone jack, critical for audio monitoring. It is the only DSLR, Sony DSLT or DSLM below $2000 with this capability.

– The GH3 has lightning fast video autofocus with absolutely silent lenses (the Canon T4i and T5i have pretty fast autofocus, but their autofocus "hunts", and in my opinion, their STM lenses are not quiet enough for a soundstage).

– The GH3 has essentially unlimited continuous video recording – other DSLRs/DSLTs have 12, 20 or 30 minute continuous clip length limits.  Important if you want to record an event, speech or play.

– The GH3 shoots with multiple codecs (AVCHD, .MOV, MP4) and at multiple frame rates up to 60p and bit rates up to 72mbps.  No other DSLR or DSLT gives you that much format or frame rate flexibility.

In my view, at $1299 list, the GH3 is the best value-for-money large-sensor, interchangeable lens video-capable camera on the market today.

Here is what it can do:

Narrative:

VFX heavy Music Video:

Documentary:

Because it's such a good value, it's hard to find them in stock, but, as of this posting, there are a few available on eBay, at Adorama and (for a premium) at Amazon.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Very good post, I like the GH3.

I'm looking to move from my HD to DSLR for the 'flim' look it gives.

Participant

Thank you very much!

• Viewing 3 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2020

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
    homicide-bootstrap