DSLR Shotgun Microphone

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hey all-

Thinking about purchasing a cheap shotgun mic for my Canon T2i.  Wondering if you guys had any reccomendations for some under $100.  Preferably one that mounts on the camera's hot shoe.  Thanks!

Participant

Check out this Azden review from Videomaker.  Anyone used it?  http://www.videomaker.com/article/13678

Hi Cartouche, I have the SMX-10 (pictured on my T2i below).  It's a good looking little mic, but I wouldn't buy it again. It generates a liot of hiss and handling noise. If you can stretch your budget by $15, you can get a used Rode VideMic from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $115.

This is a much better mic, with more "presence" and less hiss.  Here is a side-by-side test of the two microphones (I didn't shoot this, so please post any comments on lighting and composition on rawtashk's YouTube page :)):

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

[quote=gummybear142]

Hey all-

Thinking about purchasing a cheap shotgun mic for my Canon T2i.  Wondering if you guys had any reccomendations for some under $100. [/quote]

Yes save your money until you have around three times as much, cheap and shotgun microphones are like unicorns a myth so to speak.

Wayne 

NO shotgun under $100 will be worth the money spent, for most things the cheappst mic I'd recomend is somthing like a WIRED Audio-Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Condenser $25-35 or save up for a Rode VideoMic $200+

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2021

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers something different,...
homicide-bootstrap