DSLR or Camcorder for Concert Video

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I am needing some advice on which to purchase, a DSLR or a camcorder.

The camera will be used on a stationary tripod, in the same position for the entire concert. I would then like to do some pan and zoom in editing. The concert venue will have typical lighting for a classical concert. The lighting may or may not be great, if it takes place in a church setting.

Which type of camera would be best for this situation?

At the moment I have been looking at:
      DSLR: Canon XC10 4K)
      Camcorders: Sony FDRAX53/B 4K OR Sony FDR-AX100/B 4K

None of the cameras that you have mentioned is actually a DSLR. However, of the cameras that you mentioned, I would probably go with the XC10. I haven’t actually used it, myself. But I read about it in Videomaker when Canon first launched it. It had some really good notes. But again, it’s not a DSLR. You do not have the option of changing out the lens for a different one.
      If you want to look at a 4K DSLR, you might consider the Panasonic GH4. It’s also not actually a DSLR, as it is mirrorless. But you at least have the option of switching the lens to cater to different situations. When I film stage performances, I typically have the GH4 as my stationary wide shot. I then follow the action with a camcorder that I man, and I set up a GH2 that I have had for a few years at another angle for another stationary shot. Of course, if you’re shooting in 4K on the GH4, you can do some panning and zooming in post.
      I hope this info helps.

palladini971palladini971
      Participant

DSLR cameras have the major problem of overheating and shutting down to be nothing but a paperweight. It depends on which camera, but when in Video mode, they tend to overheat anywhere from 18 to 30 minutes of continuous shooting. Beware of that draw back for long shoots.

Dave has a really good point. A lot of DSLRs do have an overheating problem. Also, a lot of them will stop recording after 20 minutes or so, so that the manufacturer can get around the camcorder import tax when shipping overseas, which can kind of be a headache when recording concerts. The GH4 does not have either of these problems. It does not overheat, and it can record for up to 220 minutes continuously.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap