DSLR or Camcorder for Concert Video

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      smetzger72

I am needing some advice on which to purchase, a DSLR or a camcorder.

The camera will be used on a stationary tripod, in the same position for the entire concert. I would then like to do some pan and zoom in editing. The concert venue will have typical lighting for a classical concert. The lighting may or may not be great, if it takes place in a church setting.

Which type of camera would be best for this situation?

At the moment I have been looking at:
      DSLR: Canon XC10 4K)
      Camcorders: Sony FDRAX53/B 4K OR Sony FDR-AX100/B 4K

mcrockett

None of the cameras that you have mentioned is actually a DSLR. However, of the cameras that you mentioned, I would probably go with the XC10. I haven’t actually used it, myself. But I read about it in Videomaker when Canon first launched it. It had some really good notes. But again, it’s not a DSLR. You do not have the option of changing out the lens for a different one.
      If you want to look at a 4K DSLR, you might consider the Panasonic GH4. It’s also not actually a DSLR, as it is mirrorless. But you at least have the option of switching the lens to cater to different situations. When I film stage performances, I typically have the GH4 as my stationary wide shot. I then follow the action with a camcorder that I man, and I set up a GH2 that I have had for a few years at another angle for another stationary shot. Of course, if you’re shooting in 4K on the GH4, you can do some panning and zooming in post.
      I hope this info helps.

palladini971
      Participant

DSLR cameras have the major problem of overheating and shutting down to be nothing but a paperweight. It depends on which camera, but when in Video mode, they tend to overheat anywhere from 18 to 30 minutes of continuous shooting. Beware of that draw back for long shoots.

mcrockett

Dave has a really good point. A lot of DSLRs do have an overheating problem. Also, a lot of them will stop recording after 20 minutes or so, so that the manufacturer can get around the camcorder import tax when shipping overseas, which can kind of be a headache when recording concerts. The GH4 does not have either of these problems. It does not overheat, and it can record for up to 220 minutes continuously.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cameras and Camcorders’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2021

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers something different,...
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.