DSLR – Making the Right Choice

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi there,

I've never owned anyhting more sophisticated than a simple point-and-shoot.

I want to starting shooting my own online TV series on as low a budget as possible.

There were 3 Canon DSLRs on sale at Costco but I don't know which features distinguishes them apart from each other

The Canon models were – Canon EOS Rebel T5i DSLR -VS- EOS Rebel SL1 DSLR -VS- EOS Rebel T3i DSLR

Besides the price differences, I'm not sure which features are that important from one of these cameras to the next.

With every equipment choice withina budget, one must evaluate which feaures are a Must Have while others are a Nice to Have and still others are a I Doubt I'll Ever Use features.

I'm just not sure which features on the more expensive of these Canon models are Nice to Have or Doubt I'll Use and which are a must have beyond the cheapest model?

I would very much appreciate others with more experience with DSLRs sharing their thoughts.

Thanks so much!

Hi eager to learn – all three of these cameras have the same sensor and will produce the same image quality.  Here are their principal differences:

The $540 Canon SL1 is the smallest of the three, has a fixed rear LCD screen, limited ability to autofocus while shooting video and a 30 minute continuous video recording limit (after which the camera has to be restarted – creating a gap in long plays, concerts, ceremonies and other events)

The $799 T5i has a fully articulated rear LCD (which you can flip forward so you can see yourself from in front of the camera), limited ability to autofocus while shooting and a 30 minute continuous video recording limit

The $509 T3i also has the articulated LCD, but lacks the ability to autofocus while shooting video and has a problematic 12 minute continuous video recording limit.

All DSLR viewfinders go blank while shooting video due to mirror lockup.

Lots of people use these for video, but I wouldn't.

I prefer mirrorless cameras that are designed from the ground up for video, such as the $634 Panasonic G6 or the $978 (body only) Panasonic GH3.

Panasonic cameras are able to record for hours continuously, their viewfinders work while they shoot video, and they have fast, continous autofocus that works while shooting video.  The GH3 has a headphone jack for montoring your audio (no DSLR below $1000 has a headphone jack).

Here are some examples of what the G6 can do:

SPORTS:

NARRATIVE:

TRAVEL:

I moderate the Panasonic G6 group over on Vimeo, you can find more great examples of what this camera can do there: http://vimeo.com/groups/dmcg6

You may also want to check out what the GH3 can do on Andrew Reid's Vimeo group: http://vimeo.com/groups/gh3

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Well by now you probably already received an answer.  But I'll throw my two cents in.  I run to Sony three chip cameras that still use the mini DV tapes.  But I have recently purchased a Sony a 77.  You might want to go online and do a lot of research.  But these Sony's, as with Sony's in the past are really good equipment, and they play good with your other video equipment, at least that's been my experience.  The main thing I like about the Sony a 77 is its ability to shoot video, and you can watch the results through the viewfinder, because of the new translucent mirror.  There has been a lot of conversation about that.  But I believe some of the newer Nikons are now coming out with this.  I also have a Sony a 65 which is a good camera, but for the money the a 77 is a much better purchase.  Another thing of interest.  There are a lot of older Minolta lenses that will work on the Sony body.  That will save you, as it did me a lot of money on glass.  It's nice to be able to look through the viewfinder and make your corrections and notice them without having to take the shot, and then do the adjustments.  Again, I would imagine by now you've already made your purchase.  Another thing you need to look into is a external audio recorder.  I run a tascam DR – 100.  As I'm sure you know you can have the best video in the world, but if your audio sucks you got real problems.  I'm sure I've really muddied up your water a lot the take the time and make the right purchase.  Good luck

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap