DSLR for short films

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello,

I own a  Rebel XT with 18-55 and 75 to 300mm lenses. Doesnt have video capability. I have to upgrade. But I am interested in taking short videos / movies using DSLR. And very much like my next DSLR to have that capability without sacrificing still quality by a lot. 

Need help in selecting right one. I also want to leave enough money to buy other equipments as needed.

My choices with APS-C cameras are
      1.    T2i with Magic Lantern or
      2.    T4i

Vs.

Full frame
      1.    Canon 5d Mark 2 or
      2.    Canon 5d Mark  3 or
      3.    Or Nikon 600 / 800 or
      4.    Canon 6d ( for video , this one is questionable ? as many websites indicates)

Appreciate your help and suggestions

–reposting this , for some reason is didnt go through first time.

Participant

I recently purchased the T4i (then Canon released the T5i two weeks later!). It does really nice video and can shoot for upto 29 minutes in 4 gig increments onto an SD card.

Get it with the 18-135 lens and then purchase a $100 Canon 50mm lens and you are probably pretty good to go for most video.

If you want to do more professional film shorts for film festivals, etc, you may want to get a full frame camera. The Canon 5d Mark 2's are $1000-1500 vs the Mark 3 at $3500. Search the internet and youtube for comparisions to see if the extra $2K is worth it to you.

But for personal video shorts or even professional wedding video and the like, you can probably do well with the T4i/T5i. The nice thing about dslr and video is the ability to change lens. The $1500-2000 videocams offer more connection options for things like audio but don't allow lens changes and may have a smaller sensor (but not certain about that).

Black Magic is offering a full sensor HD video cam for $1000 with the ability to change lens but not sure of all the particulars….I think it may shoot in RAW???

Don't forget video editing software as part of your purchase.

Participant

Thanks for response. I am leaning towards T4i , since I have lenses, I may just buy the body. But you comments on 5d, give me another angle to think about it. I am not interested in home videos. to begin with , I am interested in making short documentary for public interest , get my hands dirty and then venture into short movies . I do wanna participate in next year's film festival that happens in San Jose, CA.  I like to believe T4i would be enough for it. 

Participant

You should consider the Panasonic Lumix GH2 or GH3. They are great for DSLR Video work. I don't personally own one, but I have used them several times!

I love my Canon DSLRs (t2i, t3i, 60D 5DII) for short films! If you already have lenses, I would think that this is the way for you to go.

Hi Guys:

I don't mean to hijack the thread. But I'm currently considering the Nikon D5200. Has anybody tried this camera out?

Participant

I don't know what your budget is so I can't say exactly what might be best for you. But here's some food for thought.

The 18-55 is an EF-S lens and won't fit on a full frame sensor camera. The 75-300 is an EF and it will. Just something to consider if you go to a 5D. The EF mount is very popular and many manufacturers make lenses with that mount. The Canon EF 50mm/1.8 is seriously the best bang for the buck lens out there, too.

5D mkII – Great full-frame sensor but audio issues such as no manual controls, no flip out screen, no HD monitor output during recording – still takes awesome pictures and video and no one will ever look down on it. 12 min record times.

5D mkIII – Great FF sensor, improved audio controls, still no flip out screen. Not sure if the monitor output is full HD while recording though. More money but this will be a camera you can use for years to come and no one will ever make fun of you because it takes awesome stills and video. 29 min record times.

t4i/t5i – APS-C sensor for that slightly annoying crop factor as you are already used to in the XTi. Auto focus while shooting video (with right lenses,) flip out touch screen, manual audio controls, light weight, inexpensive SD cards, takes really good stills and video. (Some of the best stuff I've seen on youtube lately was shot on a T2i. Just shoot professionally and treat it correctly in post.) It's also a lot cheaper and someone might look down at it for that – but that's only because they don't understand that it is capable of 60D and 7D video performance – or better. 29 min record times.

GH2/GH3 – New set of Panasonic lenses, micro 4/3 sensor = 2:1 crop factor. Good video, good stills, but Canon lenses are more universal and again, because of its size, clients may look down on it when you show up to a gig (it's smaller than the Rebels.) It does have a flip out monitor which in my mind as vital for anything other than a full production set-up.

Magic Lantern – cool stuff, but voids your warranty.

For $1,100, you can get the T5i with the 18-135 STM lens. Another $100-$125 will get you a 50mm/1.8. This combo is actually what I wish I had.

It's my understanding that Magic Lantern DOES NOT void warranties because it's installed on the card, but I could be wrong.

One other correction:

dellwovideo said 12 minute record times, which is almost correct. The reality is that files are limited to 4GB in file size, which ends up being ABOUT 12 minutes. You may get more or less time depending upon what you're filming. Also, newer Canons (t4i, t5i, etc) also limit file size to 4GB, but restart recording automatically after file size limit is reached, so you're still not going to get 29 minute clips as a general rule.

Regarding sound, I always record dual-system. Safer and better than what any of the cameras produce.

I also rarely use the flip-out screens on my 60D or t3i.

Just a little more food for thought.

Participant

Great suggestions, apreciate all.

I will borrow t4i from a friend and will try for week or two. I found great reviews on Panasonic Gh3 but that would like starting over. I will try if anyone in circle owns it, would love to try that one, the video seems awesome.

I liked delwovideo's comparison.  With owning XT and then t4i, I will end up owning two starter DLSRL, or only one since XT is end of life already.

Is there a chance,  price for 5d Mark3 would come down anytime soon ?

Also, are there any reliable sites for used camera gigis/lenses  ? I heard keh.com is good one ?

Just ordered EF 50mm f/1.8 II for $108.00 from bestbuy. They have t4i as well on sale. But i will stil try it out.

I've purchased quite a few things from KEH and never had a problem. I would recommend them highly.

Participant

yeah, very good advice so far. I would add that the flip-out LCD screen is essential for some good angles. My two cents! I currently operate the 600D (not full frame), but for the price, does a great job! If you want to see the quality of the camera -have a look at my short films I shot exclusively with the 600D off the shelf set-up. On my YouTube channel, just search for "bryanmilestv". This is not shamless plugging, just trying to give you an indication of quality. Hope this helps.

Participant

[quote=Bradley1960]

I recently purchased the T4i (then Canon released the T5i two weeks later!). It does really nice video and can shoot for upto 29 minutes in 4 gig increments onto an SD card.

Get it with the 18-135 lens and then purchase a $100 Canon 50mm lens and you are probably pretty good to go for most video.

If you want to do more professional film shorts for film festivals, etc, you may want to get a full frame camera. The Canon 5d Mark 2's are $1000-1500 vs the Mark 3 at $3500. Search the internet and youtube for comparisions to see if the extra $2K is worth it to you.

But for personal video shorts or even professional wedding video and the like, you can probably do well with the T4i/T5i. The nice thing about dslr and video is the ability to change lens. The $1500-2000 videocams offer more connection options for things like audio but don't allow lens changes and may have a smaller sensor (but not certain about that).

Black Magic is offering a full sensor HD video cam for $1000 with the ability to change lens but not sure of all the particulars….I think it may shoot in RAW???

Don't forget video editing software as part of your purchase.

[/quote]

The BMCC's that are available are The 4K Production cam for $4,000. The 2.5K for $2,000. And the BM Pocke Cinema t Camera (BMPCC is what I'm calling it) That is $995. The 4K and BMPCC will be available in June I believe. The BMPCC doesn't shoot in RAW. But that was the whole point of it. It has a Super16mm sensor and MFT Mount!!! I would buy one if I had the $$!!!! It is the Ultimate Indi Film Maker Camera in my opinion! That or the Lumix GH3

• Viewing 10 reply threads

Best Products

Storage Buyer's Guide

The best digital storage for video editors — 2020

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
    homicide-bootstrap