DLSR Wide Depth of Field, Shutter Speed and ISO

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

I shot my first wedding using a 7D and a 60d.  Coming from a Canon XL2, it was quite a change.  While I love the shallow depth of field and the colors, one issue I had was moving up to a wider (deeper?) depth of field so that more things would be in focus, such as the entire isle during the processional. <br>  If I go to f11, the aprature closes, so I lose light – at this point, I could either slow down shutter speed, or I could increase ISO.  increasing ISO can affect noise in the film, and slowing down the shutter too much can cause studdering.  <br>I shoot at 24fps, which means I have my shutter speed set at 1/50 (following the 180 rule).  So if this is a good setting at an f-stop of say f3.5, what's the best way to make adjustments when I need to go to f11 – especially considering I'll need to blend the video with 2 other cameras in post?<br>Thank you for your help!  I'm planning on playing around with this, but if anyone can provide a starting point/rule of thumb, I'd appreciate it.

Always keep shutter at 50, Iso go as high as you feel you can before noise reduces your resulotion, on a canon you should be able to go as high as 1250-1600 range before you have too much noise. Then adjust your aperture from there, at f4 you should have a good depth of field, set your focus to the end which is infinity this will cause the majority of the isle to be in focus except things that are really close to the lens. Also wide angle lens have a really good long depth of field. Personally I use only two lenses a 14mm rokinon cinema lens, and 50mm minolta 1.7. I use the 14mm for all my motion shots, out door architecture shots, establishing shots etc. Then I switch on the 50mm to grab some shots with a nice blurred background and very shallow DOF. you can learn some techniques by watching some of the videos on my site, http://www.knightmedia.us

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap