[DISCUSSION] 4 Steps to Understand Shutter Speed

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique [DISCUSSION] 4 Steps to Understand Shutter Speed

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Luis Oscar MaymiLuis Oscar Maymi
      Participant

4 Steps to Understand Shutter Speed

Recently I publish a guest post at Videomaker titled "4 Steps to Understand Shutter Speed" (thanks to Videomaker for the opportunity). I'm creating this forum topic to spark a discussion and answer questions about the article or about shutter speed in general. 

Feel free to post your questions here and will do my best to answer them.

Participant

Hi Luis,

Great article!

I do have one question for you. I've heard people say that a shutter speed of 1/50th of a second is the same, or similar to an 180 degree shutter angle. Have you found that to be true? I've always been a bit confused as to how I can explain the "speed" of a 180 degree shutter angle to fellow videographers.

Thanks!

Dan Bruns

Luis Oscar MaymiLuis Oscar Maymi
      Participant
      Thanks Daniel

Explaining shutter angle is like teaching a math class. Basically a 180 degree shutter angle equates to a shutter speed near 1/48 of a second at 24 fps (not exactly sure how that's calculated). A good explanation about shutter angle can be found on Videomaker's video tutorial "Using Shutter Speed to Control Motion Blur and Exposure". In general adjusting shutter angle is mostly a feature for more advance film cameras (such as the RED) so most likely the video cameras we use will only have options to change the shutter speed. 

Participant

Thanks Luis! That was helpful. I teach college students how to use RED Scarlet and RED One cameras and have been looking for a way to make the concept of shutter angle easier for them to understand. I really appreciate it!

Dan

Very good! Thank you!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap