Digital recorder

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

I have a Sony FX-7 which as you know records to tape.  My question is, is there a recorder of some sort which I can add to my Sony that will allow me to record to a memory card?  One that is not too expensive?

Hi Todd – yes, there are a few recorders that can do the job, but they're pretty expensive.

You can record from your FX7's FireWire port to a digital media using either a $609 MCE Quickstream Hard Disk Recorder, a $510 Shining Technology CitiDisk FW1258XD-CF Compact Flash Recorder or a $559 Datavideo DN-60.  If you want to save a little money, you can pick up a used DN-60 for $399 on eBay, as of this post.

Any of these recorders will do a great job of converting your tape-based camcorder to digital media – but, in my view, it makes more sense to sell the FX7, take the extra $400 to $600 you would have spent on an external recorder, and get a camera that records directly to inexpensive SD cards such as the Sony NX30, which is on sale right now for $1590 after a $200 mail-in rebate (expires 6/30/14).

Here is what this camera can do:

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

• Viewing 1 reply thread
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2020

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look...
    homicide-bootstrap