Digital recorder

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

I have a Sony FX-7 which as you know records to tape.  My question is, is there a recorder of some sort which I can add to my Sony that will allow me to record to a memory card?  One that is not too expensive?

Hi Todd – yes, there are a few recorders that can do the job, but they're pretty expensive.

You can record from your FX7's FireWire port to a digital media using either a $609 MCE Quickstream Hard Disk Recorder, a $510 Shining Technology CitiDisk FW1258XD-CF Compact Flash Recorder or a $559 Datavideo DN-60.  If you want to save a little money, you can pick up a used DN-60 for $399 on eBay, as of this post.

Any of these recorders will do a great job of converting your tape-based camcorder to digital media – but, in my view, it makes more sense to sell the FX7, take the extra $400 to $600 you would have spent on an external recorder, and get a camera that records directly to inexpensive SD cards such as the Sony NX30, which is on sale right now for $1590 after a $200 mail-in rebate (expires 6/30/14).

Here is what this camera can do:

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap