Digital Audio Recording w/ Boom

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I was thinking pairing a Audio Technica ATR897 shotgun mic and a RODE boom pole together for doing exterior video work where I would be shooting 10-20 feet away but still get good sound if my sound guy could hover it close enough above the actors. We’ve been having problems with our radio mic’s and so I was thinking of a digital recording box along with the microphone so we could later import the audio into Final Cut Pro. I’d synch the sound with some sort of clapper.

Any suggestions for the digital recording box?

Participant

About 4 years ago I spoke with a sound engineer for CTV (Canada’s largest private broadcaster). He mentioned that they would sometimes use a regular Mini-DV camera just for sound capture because the audio quality of Mini-DV cameras tend to be better than their video quality.

All you would need would be an XLR-to-Mini adapter to connect your shotgun mic to the mini-input of your Mini-DV cam and you’re all set.

Good luck!

In Solidarity,

Alain

http://www.crazyredacesproductions.blogspot.com/

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Camera Support Buyer's Guide

The best advanced camera support for video — 2021

While the camera will always be at the core of your production setup, using the best camera support is vital in getting smooth cinematic shots.
homicide-bootstrap