Depth-of-Field ???

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      klh121560
      Participant

To anyone who knows?

I want to be able to do depth-of field on clips in my videos. I have a pro-cam type camera (canon Vixia HF R21) which does not have manual controls for aperture. I have tried many plug-ins, but maybe not the right one, or the ones I have I just don't know that well. Many can do horizontal and vertical focus blurs, but to get a true DOF like in a professional video, commercial, etc … I just am completely unsure of how to do this. I use Adobe Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and/or 6. I was hoping to be able to do it within that program rather than have to go into After Effects. 

Does anyone know how to do really good DOF in Adobe Premiere Pro ???

Thanks All
      – Ken

Cartouche
      Participant

What about it?

gldnears

highly over-rated!

Rick Crampton

klh121560
      Participant

I don't think my post came out right so I am posting again.

I would like to be able to do a really good job on getting depth-of-field in my video clips. I have a procam camcorder (canon vixia hf r21) which does not have manual apereture, so I am limited to plug-ins. I use Adobe Premiere Pro CS 5.5 (and now CS6), and have tried many plugins including rack-focus, etc .. Most I can get is overall blurs, or horizontal or vertical blur, but I was hoping to get a DOF like in a picture where the foreground object is clear but the background is out of focus. I am hoping to do this in Premiere rather than have to go into After Effects.

Does anyone know how to do this in Adobe Premiere pro CS5/6  ???

Thanks in advance for any help offered !!!!!!

– Ken

BruceMol
      Participant

look up garbage matte tutorials.

canon vixia hf r21= procam camcorder? Seriously?

p. 70 of your instruction book explain how to manually adjust exposure

gldnears

> I don't think my post came out right so I am posting again.

> I would like to be able to do a really good job on getting depth-of-field in my video clips. I have a procam camcorder (canon vixia hf r21) which does not have manual apereture, so I am limited to plug-ins.

Gee, I can't imagine how successful this would be in post! Surely it would be time consuming at least . . . .

Rick Crampton

Woody
      Participant

Hi Ken,

DOF is more of an in camera technique. Aperture and lens speed have a lot to do with it and being locked on a fixed lense will limit any control you have over it. You can mask out areas as it has been said and blur outside your subject or swap back and fourth but its going to be even further limited, so doing it in post really isn't the best option.

klh121560
      Participant

Thanks Woody, I had a feeling that was the case.

Greg Olson
      Inactive

It's true that in camera DOF is the ideal way to achieve it.  However, faking it in post is possible, especially if your shots are static, and your subjects don't move much.  

You can do it by duplicating your video layer, and placing the area you want in focus on top.

Use a mask (or garbage matte) to isolate the area on the top clip you want in focus.  

You can then blur the layer underneath to taste.

Be sure to feather out the edges of the mask (or matte) to make a gradual shift from focused to unfocused.

You can create a moving mask if you're willing to invest the time.

Of course, this is a workaround, but if you shoot you're scenes with post in mind, it is possible.

Good Luck!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Editing’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best Nikon lenses — 2021

Nikon cameras are a favorite for DSLR shooters. Nikon has their own line of lenses, but there are also some third-party options available for both F mounts and Z mounts. Here are the best Nikon lenses currently available on the...
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN