Demo reel advice

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hey everyone,

First time poster so apologies if this isn't the right place. I'm applying for video editing jobs, and I'm looking for advice on how to make my demo reel. Here's my dilemma.

I just graduated college in 2016, and haven't been working strictly in video since then. Most of my work was done in three documentaries I edited or directed in college. I have some smaller social media videos I have done for my company or as an intern, but they aren't really something I would put in a demo reel. For context, it's an advocacy filmmaking position. So I'm working with roughly 100 minutes of footage between my three films, none of which I have access to the original files for (they're all on the school hard drives). Is it acceptable to use the original music for each clip in a demo reel? I imagine it would feel very choppy. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

Participant

More important is if you have permission to use them once you graduated. It's not always the case they allow you to have it, yet sometimes, sources are more than happy. I got given some BBC footage to edit into a showreel from one of their talent programmes – the person was given her performances as files on a DVD. I thought odd but the emails that she had were alomng these lines – "Hope you got the material I sent for your showreel – good luck with it!"

I've had a university decline permission because the files were not the student's but the property of the university corporation!

If you use music, you'll have to clear that too – if you don;t have the orgininal files, do you have proper quality versions that you can at least use the visuals and then put suitable new music on top?

I wouldn’t sweat the music it’s just a showreel your using for your own purpose, it’s not affecting anyone’s income in any way.

Seconded. Nobody's going to sue you unless you're directly trying to financially exploit their intellectual property. As far as the video looking "choppy," naturally, get the best quality you can, compress it as little as possible, and, if the footage is still not up to par, consider presenting it creatively, such as in a smaller frame on the screen, or in one of several boxes that split the screen. By shrinking it down, the quality may appear better. At least for demo purposes. 

Affinity photo and affinity designer are Photoshop equivalent for $50 1 time license. They seem to be really shaking things up in the industry.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2020

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your...
homicide-bootstrap