Dell XPS 8700 for EDITING?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Recently I came across Dell XPS 8700 (i7 4th Gen, 12GN RAM, 1TB HD and a Graphic Card though not remember exactly which one was it) and I am in the market to my very first proper editing desktop though like many I am also on a very tight budget.

I use Adobe Premier and After Effects.

– Are these specs good enough for Full HD and 4K RAW video editing?

– Will I be able to make upgrades in this setup with time?

– How reliable is Dell XPS 8700 when it comes on butt kicking editing?

– Shall I opt for it or look for something else?

Thanks.

Okay here are a couple things (my thoughts and opinions take them as you will)

Firstly 12g is a great start, most editors are opting to go 32 so you might want to check into what kind of motherboard it has and if that motherboard supports 32g of ram. Some will tell you ram is not as important because some applications aren't optimized for blah blah blah blah… hogwash I say! While 32 might be overkill if you are running intense programs your system will start to choke if it is maxing out the ram all the time; more is better period.

Secondly – Video card is critical in video editing. Most applications use the video card for extra rendering power and if you don't have a solid video card you will be waiting for hours. Also the main thing with video cards is it controls what you see on screen, if your video card isn't up to snuff you will see taring, frame skipping, and general bad things. Especially at 4k because it's not like watching a movie your machine is actually doing a lot of interpreting of your footage.

The one tb hdd will get you started, but 4k is going to eat that thing alive. I buy 2tb HDD's from amazon they are always coming down last I checked they were under $100 swapping those bad boys will give you plenty of space. The problem with hdd's is they are so slow! SSD's have come down a ton in recent months, and the best time to upgrade to an ssd is with a new system. You will already spend hours installing software and configuring your system, you might as well be doing it on your solid state drive. A word of caution keep your ssd for your programs and windows install; use your hdd for your video files. Filling up your ssd slows it down.

A word on upgrades, upgrading a pc is one of the best features about them. As long as you read the specs and understand what will and will not work together you will be fine upgrading and fine tuning every part of your pc. The one part that is the hardest, most challenging, least fun; is the motherboard. The main problem with upgrading the motherboard is your system and software will all think you have a new computer, this is a problem for windows and any other software that reads the unique id of the motherboard so pirates can't just keep installing software on every machine. In many cases you will need to call the company of each software and ask for a new key and explain what you did. Some software will let you deactivate it before you change motherboards, but not all.

So make sure your motherboard is a little future proof, because in my experience when it's time to upgrade the motherboard, its time to buy a new pc.

Final thoughts;

a pc for editing is only as fast as it's weakest component.

Name brand loyalty is mental so unless you see mass panic (because unhappy customers are vocal) when you search for a part, don't worry.

I hope this helps if you have any other questions feel free, I check here pretty regularly.

Justin Reto

klookfilm

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition,...
homicide-bootstrap