Decent audio recording for DSLR?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I was unaware of the Tascam DR-60D audio " adapter " for DSLR cameras until I read the latest issue of TVTechnology this morning. Albeit another " Doo-Dad " add-on in an attempt to make DSLR cameras functionally equivalent to camcorders, the Tascam looks to be a step in the right direction toward good audio . . .

I wonder where it will all end? Somewhere in the middle, probably . . Large sensor, single chip cameras may not be the panacea they're cracked up to be what with the very, very minute color dye mask on the sensor ( which might fade over time ) and the more complex digital signal processing necessary to scan an image ( ergo the " rolling shutter " effect ? ).

Whatever, the manufacturers will persist in trying to make cameras which will capture a pleasing image regardless of complexity at lower and lower price points. And we poor consumers will be urged ( forced ? ) to upgrade perhaps sooner than we would hope for.

Rick Crampton

I have just purchased the Tascam RD60D 11/4/13.
      Despite the fact that it is a beautiful piece of electronics, on my 5th use (with the same mic cable each time) the XLR input clip stuck and I was unable to remove the XLR.
      When I finally did get the XLR out the clip was bent and I’m afraid that putting another XLR in will be locked in permanently.

As I bout this from USA, Tascam Australia will not repair it. I have been told by Tascam USA that since I don’t live in the USA they will not repair it and send it back to me.

If I had bought this recorder from Australia (by the way it’s not yet available in Australia) and then traveled over seas for a job and had a problems with it, Tascam would not authorise the repair unless I sent it back to Australia, leaving me high and dry with out a recorder?
      (This is a big concern as I do travel on video projects)

If video is a hobby, you may consider this a great piece of equipment, though probably too expensive for a hobbyist.

But I can not consider nor recommend this as a professional product. Due to the likelihood that the XLR input clips could get stuck at any time and render the DR-60D useless.

It’s a shame about the XLR input clips.

I should think it would be possible to rip the retaining clips out of the receptacles. You'd have to open the case in order to get to the back side of the connectors . . . . Or you could maybe force some narrow tool into the part of the connector where the retainer clip lives.

Hi guys,

once you remove the screews and cover the XLR conectors are soldered directly to the circuit board, which is tightly paced and very intricate, so they are not replaceable by me.

The only thing I could do is try to pull out the clip, but as the XLR socket is all one piece (it would need to be unsoldered to remove the clip from the back of the XLR socket safely), I would have to use force and just rip it out and hope I don't damage any of the circuit board conections, as there is no other points of contact securing the XLR socket to the recorder.

The packed alot in to this tiny pacage and made it highly breackable.

I see that we have two parallel threads going on this topic . . . .  

. . .  the connectors in question are those lovely combo XLR/1/4" TRS connectors. It would take some experience and skill to replace them, or to even remove the latching mechanism. Alas, electronic gear these days isn't meant to be serviced . . . . but it " can " be done.

Participant

Having the connectors soldered directly to the board is not good for field repairs. As long as the connectors still work as intended, I'd suggest getting yourself a a short patch cable with a right angle XLR connector that you can leave in the device. That way, you won't be stressing the case mounted connectors with each connect and disconnect. 

An example: http://amzn.to/14ssWSj

Not elegant but it might help out the problem.

thanks Ed for that idea, at the moment it's my best option.

Participant

I worked in the AV business for many years where XLR is the standard. XLR connectors do break and should be field repairable. Any product that didn't permit this wouldn't find much use in the AV world.

I took a look at the pictures of the DR-60D on Tascam's site and it appears to me that the XLR connectors are easily removed. Each one has a pair of philips head screws holding the connector on the case.  Try removing the two screws of the broken XLR connector and you should be able to either repair or replace the connector. You'll probably need a soldering gun. Make sure to remove the batteries and other power sources.

Here's the image of the XLRs: http://tascam.com/product/dr-60d/images/

I know you just purchased the DR-60D but pro grade equipment warranties are of little use when you're in the field. Having a little working knowledge of your equipment would be helpful in such an instance. 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap