Cyclorma studio build advice

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      hope-mermozhope-mermoz
      Participant

Hi, I would like to ask your help for a choice that is very difficult for my company. I set out to create a studio and I find two A & Blocations whose details are on picture in the link below.
      We seek to create a cyclorama that can be used for Renting, photography and video production (music videos and commercials mostly ) White and / or green cyclorama . Also both locations have the same Cost of rental.

-what would you choose and why?
      – would it be possible to be comfortable to work in studio A with that pillar? (Wide shots, jib, dollies)
      – in terms of lighting which one of the two will be better for most scenarios.?
      – i’m probably wrong but but with the lighting inverse square law, it is not better to have an average height for better light output than too much height in this case?
      – Any advice on cyclorama size , ceiling color, and logistics will be welcome.

Your answers will help me a lot in the realization of this project. thank you in advance!

http://i64.tinypic.com/dpwg87.jpg

Participant

Is there an alternative “C?” Neither of these spaces inspire me. In “A” the center pillar effectively creates two spaces, one 7.5m x 12.35m, the other 6.85 x 10.45. This might be an advantage should you put a blue cyc in one “room,” a white cyc in the other. The ceiling is high enough that you can hang a grid for lighting, a definite plus, will the ceiling support a grid? The calls-to-worship might present significant audio problems — as might the footsteps of the faithful on the floor above.

The water leak is a red flag and could portend a variety of problems with the building’s infrastructure. You indicate it’s an older building: will there be enough electrical service to the building to handle your lighting demands? What about access doors for load-in? Will your clients be able to move in set pieces easily? Being in town is a plus; but is there adequate day-long parking for clients?

For me the most significant drawback for location “B,” besides its distance from town, is the low ceiling height which would virtually rule out a lighting grid and would all but rule out the use of a jib or high-angle shots. Its length certainly works in its favor: you could create a curved cyc that completely filled one end of the building, which would be wonderful for shooting music videos or large-product commercials.

Here again is the question of access. Are there doors wide enough and high enough to accommodate scenic pieces and client products. You don’t have to have a loading dock, but high double doors would be a plus.

The red flag here is the “not very friendly contractor.” For a conversion such as you are contemplating I would be searching for a very friendly and imaginative contractor, one who could save me money through innovation and a positive approach to my unique needs.

Good luck with your project. You can get by with either of these sites you are considering but if it were I doing this project I’d continue to look for spaces.

Participant

I’d not put money into either – the central pillar, the noise source and leak in one ring big warning bells – and the sound thing will be two way – their noise stops your work, but what about your noise? The other one will be a problem because the 16:9 image means you cannot pull back without revealing the top of the cyc. For a studio space these sizes, the minimum electrical supply I’d accept would be 3 phase 63A.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best cameras for YouTube — 2021

So you’re all set to start your new YouTube channel where you’ll show how you create wigs for dogs with bald spots. Great! But before you get started, you’ll need a camera. We’re here to help you wade through the...
homicide-bootstrap