Curious to know how they achieved this 3D look?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I came across this video on the front page of Youtube today. I'm not particularly impressed with the content of the video itself, but a 'scene' caught my eye. At 0:12 to 0:14 seconds, there is this distinct 3D look, as if the girls have been frozen in time while we look at them through different angles. I'm really curious how they did this.

For example, one girl is mid-air and another has her hair sticking up all whilst the camera pans the room. There is a similar scene afterward at 0:18 to 0:20 seconds, where the girls look frozen (but the objects in the room are moving in slow mo) while the camera pans the room quickly.

Does anyone know or have any idea of how they created this 3D effect? I've been stabbing guesses here and there but I've honestly gone nowhere. I guess I don't really have an eye for these sort of things, so if anyone can lead me in the right direction, I'd be oh so thankful.

You ever see any of the Matrix feature films?  " Frozen motion " is accomplished by a ring of still cameras which are sequentially fired resulting in what appears to be a dolly shot around a moment of " action ". In your example, perhaps a bit o' green screen contributes to the illusion?

Rick Crampton

Participant

Yeah, I had a feeling there was a little green screen involved. I've been interested in the frozen motion effect ever since I saw this video:

I always just knew it as "2.5D animation," so it's good to have an idea of how it's actually done. Thanks Rick!

Participant

It is done with several still cameras along a line or arc. The more motion you want, or the longer the shot, the more cameras you're going to need. Unless you want to have quick motion, you will need to place the cameras close together, perhaps inches apart, which may require more cameras. In The Matrix the cameras were placed a foot apart or more and each shot was used as a key frame and computers were used to fill more frames in between them, something that's probably beyond your capabilities. The cameras are set off simultaneously to achieve a frozen moment in time (which they seemed to do the first time) or sequencially to achieve some motion (looks like they went for slow motion the second time). In Hollywood it is probably done exclusively in front of a green screen because it is nearly impossible to focus all those cameras on a single point as it "moves" around the subject. When the frames are spliced together there is a lot of jarring motion. In post-production this is solved by adjusting the position of each frame. This will smooth out the motion but the edges of the frames can be seen moving erradically about. Without green screen, your only practical solution is to zoom into the shot so this will be pushed out of frame, but you will lose some resolution. The more you have to adjust for motion, the more resolution you will lose. With green screen you will have to duplicate the camera motion for the background, which may be hard enough since it involves position (spacial and angular) and timing but at least you can use one single camcorder since you won't have to freeze the moment. It's a nice effect (although in Hollywood it does seem to be out of style, The Matrix is a fairly old movie) but it does require a lot of work so if you want to do it be prepared to spend a lot of time at your computer. Good luck.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

A Lighting Buyer’s Guide

The best lights for video production — 2020

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap