Critique welcome

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I see a lot of polished highlight videos that often times look better than what I have been creating. I am not sure if it’s my camera, my shooting style, the fact that I do not do a lot of color grading in post how I edit or if I need to find new skills and training, but they do not have the slick polished look like would hope.

Here is a link to a video that I completed recently, The client loved it, but I am just wanting more out of myself or my editing.

Constructive criticism is welcomed

Participant

Hey, Mark: This is a really nice bit of editing. Nicely paced, great storytelling and selection of shots.

Have you looked at this in conjunction with a waveform monitor? Much of the piece has a “foggy” look, suggesting to me that the levels are slightly off — the blacks aren’t quite black, the whites a little off too. I think the piece can use a little color correction as well. Flesh tones in several places are quite ruddy.

The shot at 2:59 (crowd scene, blond with hair highlight a center, rose colored dress to her right) appears to be very soft. In the frame just before this — 2:57 or 58 — there appears to be an extra frame, or something odd in the cut. It’s hard to spot on YouTube but it gives the impression of a blur of motion.

I find color grading to be of great importance in my own work. It helps pull together all the shots and creates the glue that holds the entire edit together. This is especially true when working with multi-camera materials shot during the course of a day under different lighting conditions.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best Nikon lenses — 2021

Nikon cameras are a favorite for DSLR shooters. Nikon has their own line of lenses, but there are also some third-party options available for both F mounts and Z mounts. Here are the best Nikon lenses currently available on the...
homicide-bootstrap