Converting a Home video dvd to use in premiere pro CS6

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Converting a Home video dvd to use in premiere pro CS6

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

My parents recently took all of their home video tapes in to get transferred to dvd. Now they would like me to edit them in to a shorter video of highlights. 

I am unsure how to convert these dvds in order to put them in premiere pro and cut them up. If I just drag the disc icon on my desktop to premiere it only uploads photos. I have downloaded macX video converter and Aimer dvd ripper. Both seem to only upload thumbnails from the menu screen. 

Do I have to just let the videos play on my screen and use screen record to be able to edit these?

When I open the disk on my desktop these are what is inside:  

A DiscMetaData.xml file

Audio TS folder: Has nothing in it.

Photobook Folder: Thumbnails from the menus

The sheet folder: Just a file of the dvd cover.

Video TS folder: Many files of three different file types. .VUB .IFO .IBU

Also, I am on a Mac if that is needed information. 

Participant

It would be better to go from the original tapes to create your highlight video, as DVD video is extremely compressed as it is.  

but on the DVD you would be looking under the VIDEO_TS folder for your files, and they are in VOB.  You would need to copy the files to a hard drive and then change the VOB extension to MPG and then import into Premiere.  

Participant

MPEG streamclip is a handy piece of shareware that can be used on Mac to extract content from DVDs and export it into Quicktime, WMV, etc.

Participant

I don't know if it'll work on Windows on a MAC, but I used VideReDoPlus to separate into individual videos the events contained on 180 DVDs full of home movies (1-10 different events were on each DVD, having been converted from VHS tapes). The link is below..the webpage isn’t all that fancy looking, but it sure did the job at the time. The program is good if you can't use the original video and must use the (as he said above, compressed) DVD files, because it ONLY recompresses what changes (smart rendering) when exporting to mpeg (or whatever) format (i.e. the cut points when separating or editing the videos). Once in mpeg format, I stored them all (over 600 individual videos) on an external harddrive and/or Drobo for streaming to TV (and also uploaded them to a private YouTube channel created to share them with family & friends. That step, however, required recompression to .mp4 files-another reason it's important to start with the best quality file you can). One downside is VideoReDoPlus can't do any fancy, creative editing like in Premiere Pro CS6, but at least you won't recompress the entire file…THOUGH here's a blog from Adobe regarding smart rendering in Premiere Pro CS6 (does that apply to you?)…so, maybe one of these programs or the other-or working together-will get you where you want to be. Also, file formats and equipment change constantly-though some have a longer shelf life. DVDs are going out of style slowly, but surely, in favor of streaming and other formats. Do what you can to “future-proof”your videos by backing them up (2 copies stored in different places) and try to choose a format with the highest quality, that is expected to last the longest before you will have to convert them all again into the next format that will play on the technology of the day to come (even the Library of Congress has to do this)..it's just the nature of the subject: formats play on technology-and technology changes (can you say VHS, 8 track, cassette tape etc..).
      http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2012/10/11/smart-rendering-in-premiere-pro-cs6-6-0-1-and-later/
      http://www.videoredo.com/en/Products_VideoReDo_Plus.html

(I really liked ViideRedo when I used it-and it still might be the best tool for the job-but don’t hesitate to research and look around..great programs come out all the time. There might be something even better now!

Participant

Another thing that I do with DVD's, when I need to get video off them is that I hook up a DVD player by S-Video or component to an analog-to-digital converter (I.e. The Canopus ADVC-300) and then capture the video that way, and I find that I get higher quality videos at the end than when I just use the highly compressed MPEG-2 files from the DVD's, as the DVD player is having to playback every single frame as a complete frame, since I'm removing the MPEG compression from the signal.  Sure there is a little bit of quality loss this way, but not as much as going straight from the MPEG file and then recompressing that into another MPEG file.

Participant

First, you can try to copy the .VOB files from your DVD(home made without copy protection) to your computer, then change the .VOB extension to .MPG and import. Usually Adobe Premiere could accept the files.

Well, for those commercial DVDs, you need to move the copy protection and convert DVD to Adobe Premiere Pro editable file type like MPEG-2 with a DVD ripping tool.

A detailed guide: http://video-help.over-blog.com/2015/03/importing-dvd-to-adobe-premiere-pro.html

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap