Considering becoming a non professional wedding videographer

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Specialty Topics Wedding and Event Video Considering becoming a non professional wedding videographer

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Over the past 20 years or so I’ve filmed 6 weddings for family and friends. Been researching doing it part time. I don’t know anything about computer editing software. I have a video camera that uses the mini DVDs. I’ve learned a few things by doing what few weddings I have done. Any advice as to what to charge? Is $50 too much or too little? That would be enough to cover my DVDs I would use with the cam corder, 10 – 15 copies of the wedding and gas money and have about $20 left over for profit. I usually film the rehearsal, the wedding, reception and the bride throwing the bouquet. All the important stuff. Just wondering if anybody has tried this before?

Participant

If you’re doing this as a hobby, don’t charge anything more than your expenses for transportation and DVD blanks.

If you’re doing this as a business, consider that in the U.S. many wedding videographers are charging at least $1500 and quite a few charge more than $3000. In most markets, videographers charging $500 are considered at the very bottom of the totem pole.

Participant

You’ve not done very much research, if you’re surprised by the cost. Sure, it’s very lucrative, but I don’t EVER do weddings because they are certainly that much’s worth of grief, and even the friends and family ones I have had my arm twisted to do happened – the grief was awful. They call them bridezillas for a reason. They are never happy, and the time it takes is really that much money’s worth! The responsibility is huge! do you want to be in front of Judge Judy, having wrecked somebodies wedding by forgetting to shoot auntie Jane who has a serious illness and had to feature prominently, despite nobody telling you about it. You missed the beginning of the speeches because the hotel’s promise to warn you got missed, and at the friends one I didn’t shoot the sisters in their hotel room exchanging gifts because nobody told me this was happening – and I’m still not forgiven. Doing it part-time IS professional.Loads of video people do other things – either video related or totally different. They are professional in attitude and skills, as you hopefully will be. If you do this kind of work for beer money – you will be mistrusted, and resented – possibly even hated by the video community if you wipe out somebodies $1500 job and do it for $250. Word spreads quickly – and you will not be high on the favourite list. If you need a second shooter – they will want the local rate, wrecking your budget.

If you come into the video world, you don’t want to be the pariah. The minute you start directing people, and making the plan happen – you have crossed the line to being a proper pro. Maybe a still a beginner, but a pro, nevertheless.

I just want to say thanks for your wonderful post, it is contain a lot of knowledge and information that i needed right now. I wanna tell you that if you want to get more fun and enjoyment then visit my site and get more fun.
      http://colour-switch.com

Participant

I really don’t think there is such a thing as a unprofessional videographer.

what you are doing is just for fun, so keep it fun, do it for people you, and don’t think about money.

if you want to make a living out of this, be professional, provide quality work, and charge accordingly. there really is no middle way.

SDE Weddings | https://SDEWeddings.com

Participant

I have read an article about this. I just wanna share it to you https://www.adorama.com/alc/12-wedding-photography-tips-for-amateur-photographers. Just like you, I've been doing this for a couple of times already. I started doing it as a hobby until some friends and relatives asked me to do it for their weddings. I kinda enjoyed it. I am not a pro. I just enjoy doing it.

Thanks for the reply. I film things as a hobby. Like I said, I’ve only done 6 weddings but I also take my video camera to our Church activities like Christmas and Easter plays, cookouts and other stuff. Done several of those just for fun. I’ve tried researching how much a non pro could make. Not taking any pictures. Just strictly video. $500 sounds expensive to me. I can’t imagine anybody paying as much as $3,000 for a video of their wedding. Like you said, enough to cover DVD blanks and transportation costs but also charge enough that I can profit $15 – $20 too. I’m not able to work now because of health problems so I was thinking about looking into doing this as a part time job while letting people know that I’m nowhere near being a pro. I have 2 DVD Recorders/VCR combos I use to edit stuff.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap