Connecting JVC BR-S525 to Laptop

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi all. What the best way to connect a JVC BR-S525 video player to a laptop for video upload purposes or even connectiing it to a ADVC 300.

The connections of the video player are some kind of professional connections as this is a professional machine from the early 90s.

I think the connections on the player are bnc. I have pictures but can’t seem to see a way to upload on here.

Participant

From the only picture I’ve been able to find of the rear of this unit I would agree with you: these are definitely BNC connectors. You can get BNC-to-RCA (female) connectors that will allow you to output to your ADVC 300 or to a camera with pass-through digitizing capabilities and from there to your computer.

Participant

It’s been a very long time since I’ve done this but if the ADVC-300 or camera with pass through capability has a Y-C (aka SVHS) input, use that as the final picture quality will be a bit better than using the composite video inputs.

Mike

Participant

Thanks for your advice guys.

Participant

The only reason im trying to convert my compact vhs tapes via the JVC BR-S525 is because im thinking a machine like this will give me a better end result i.e in picture quality then just using a normal consumer VHS player? Or will the result not be anything significant. The easier way would be to just play the tapes back via a compact vhs camcorder.

Participant

I found the specs on that machine and it will definitely give you a much better picture than you could get using a regular camcorder.
    In case you don’t have anything on the JVC deck, look here.
    http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/tech_desc.jsp?model_id=MDL100044&feature_id=02

Mike

Participant

With S-/VHS-C I’ve found that the Pansonic AG-1970 S-VHS VCR works really well (you need a VHS-C to VHS adapter cassette), especially if you are trying to capture something that was recorded at the SLP speed. The tracking on the S-/VHS-C tapes seems to be very finicky, even at SP, but I find Panasonic tracks really well.

Participant

As for result, even VHS I find looks better over S-Video for DVD. And VHS-C I always transfer via S-Video since the camcorder was essentially a mini S-VHS recorder, in the way it recorded the video with seperate luminance/chrominance channels, albeit at VHS levels.

• Viewing 7 reply threads

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2020

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
    homicide-bootstrap