Computer Specs Good For Video Editing

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I will be getting a new computer for video editing. 

I do gameplay recordings for various games on the PS4.

My other computer is geared for audio production mixing and mastering.

This one will be for editing the videos. 

I do not use many effects, mainly some color corrections. 

I will be using Premiere Pro CS6

I record using the Elgato Game Capture HD60(H.264 encoding)

This device connects the PS4 for passthrough your computer, which the software included that controls the device, is installed on the computer, and records the gameplay. 

Specs and info: bottom of the bestbuy page

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/elgato-game-capture-hd-60/7634008.p?id=1219285525278
      Also, the actual website: https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/game-capture-hd60

Here is the computer: 
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883156282

• Intel Core i7 4790S (3.20GHz)
      • 16GB DDR3 2TB HDD
      • Windows 8.1 64-Bit
      • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB

I will be wanting to add a Solid State Drive to this as well.

Participant

One word…Overkill.    I'd say that computer is way more powefull than you need.  But it is a great spec'd computer, so if you can afford it…go for it.

I'll confirm the previous comment. The box you've specced will do everything you want, and a whole lot more. If you're strapped for cash, you can get by with a quad-core processor, 8 GB memory, an HDD instead of SSD, and a simple 1 GB video card on the Mercury Engine list.

Participant

Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 system requirements

Windows

• Intel® Core™2 Duo or AMD Phenom® II processor; 64-bit support required
      • Microsoft® Windows® 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1. See the CS6 FAQ for more information about Windows 8 support.*
      • 4 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
      • 4 GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash storage devices)
      • Additional disk space required for preview files and other working files (10 GB recommended)
      • 1280 x 900 display
      • OpenGL 2.0–capable system
      • 7200-RPM hard drive (multiple fast disk drives, preferably RAID 0 configured, recommended)
      • Sound card compatible with ASIO protocol or Microsoft Windows Driver Model
      • DVD-ROM drive compatible with dual-layer DVDs (DVD+-R burner for burning DVDs; Blu-ray burner for creating Blu-ray Disc media)
      • QuickTime 7.6.6 software required for QuickTime features
      • Optional: Adobe-certified GPU card for GPU-accelerated performance
      • This software does not operate without activation. Broadband Internet connection and registration are required for software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.* Phone activation is not available.

* Learn more about Windows support.

Supported NVIDIA video adapters for GPU acceleration

• GeForce GTX 285 (Windows and Mac OS)
      • GeForce GTX 470 (Windows)
      • GeForce GTX 570 (Windows)
      • GeForce GTX 580 (Windows)
      • NVIDIA® Tesla C2075 card (Windows) when paired with a Quadro card as part of an NVIDIA Maximus™ configuration
      • Quadro FX 3700M (Windows)
      • Quadro FX 3800 (Windows)
      • Quadro FX 3800M (Windows)
      • Quadro FX 4800 (Windows and Mac OS)
      • Quadro FX 5800 (Windows)
      • Quadro 2000 (Windows)
      • Quadro 2000D (Windows)
      • Quadro 2000M (Windows)
      • Quadro 3000M (Windows)
      • Quadro 4000 (Windows and Mac OS)
      • Quadro 4000M (Windows)
      • Quadro 5000 (Windows)
      • Quadro 5000M (Windows)
      • Quadro 5010M (Windows)
      • Quadro 6000 (Windows)
      • Quadro CX (Windows)
      • Tesla C2075** (Windows)

Visit the NVIDIA website for system requirements and compatibility. The list of video adapters that are compatible with Adobe® Premiere® Pro CS6 is updated on a regular basis.

* This product may integrate with or allow access to certain Adobe or third-party hosted online services ("Online Services"). Online Services are available only to users 13 and older and require agreement to additional terms of use and Adobe's online privacy policy. Online Services are not available in all countries or languages, may require user registration, and may be discontinued or modified in whole or in part without notice. Additional fees or subscription charges may apply.

** When paired with a Quadro card as part of NVIDIA Maximus configured system.

Personal Notes:

The more system ram the better. Using 3 hardrives works best. One to read from, one to crunch the numbers, one to write the output file to. Will aid in speeding up your render times.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Video Reference Monitor Buyer’s Guide

The best video monitors — 2020

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap