Computer for video editing 2015

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys !

I am trying to get an upgrade on a editing computer.

Currently I am using a Mac pro 2009 

2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

24 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC

NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 MB

I get around ok with Premier and After Effects.

When I have a full shott film or a 60 min wedding video to edit I do run into lagging perfomance.

Buying another Mac pro i going to cost me over $5k

So I decided to build a PC. Here are the specs I was thinking about.

Do you think I am on the right place or should I be changing anything.

I really did not want to exceed $2000 mark but already have.

• CPU 6 Core i7-5820K 3.3Ghz – $524
      • MB Asus X99-PRO – $449
      • DDR 4 RAM Corsair Vengeance 16gb 4×4 DDR4 – $349
      • OS – SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1TB – $508
      • SCRATCH DISK WD 3.5" Black 2TB – $178
      • MEDIA DRIVE WD 3.5" Black 2TB – $178
      • CARD READER Akasa AK-HC-05U3BK – $70
      • BLURAY WRITER Pioneer BDR-209 OEM Blu-Ray Writer – $85
      • GPU Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 TI OC 2GB – $189

I already have 1000w PSU  and Case so ill use them.

Please advise is this a over kill or can I save any where?

Do I really need the 6 core for heavy video editing, color correction, red giant, after effect animation etc?

Thanks

It really depends on the software you are using. If you are using an editing software that can only take advantage of a single core, then speed is your most important specification. If you are using a software (such as Premier Pro CC) that can take advantage of all the cores, then the number of cores is more important than the speed.  I know that After effects will take adavantage of multiple cores. Also, if your software uses hardware (GPU) acceleration, the same goes. The more Cuda cores(NVidia) or Stream Processors(AMD), the better. For the GPU, the more memory the better. As for your build, I personally would like to have such a powerful workstation, as mine is much less:

CPU I7 2600k quad core

Memory 16 GB 1600 DDR3

GPU NVidia 560 GTX 1 GB

OS HDD 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate drive

Scratch HDD 1 T  7200 RPM Seagate drive

This is about 4 years old now, and render times are a litte slow, but it gets the job done.

So, in short, do you need a 6 core processor? No, 4 cores work fine. But, 6 cores will give you a noticable increase in final render times.  When it comes to effects, a more powerful GPU will give you better performance during your workflow.

Participant

So much depends on how time = money to you. I assume you're on Adobe cc, so personally I think I'd keep your mac system, and buy a slightly more modest PC system – dropping the processor spec just a little save quite a bit, but the time saved, in my own case, doesn't equate to the extra money. The really fast processors still cost too much more than the lower ones, which are still faster than a two, let alone four year old processor. For me it means that I can work on two machines, swapping files as required with external drives – so when one is rendering something, I use the other, which for me works, as I do the same with audio in a different room – I much prefer multiple computers than a single really swish one.

• Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap