Compressed video with Lossless Animation

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Compressed video with Lossless Animation

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I am currently working on a project where I have to chop up a video into smaller pieces and add some graphics and animation.  The final video will then be uploaded to Youtube.  Unfortunately I don't have access to the original lossless video file and am wondering what the best export settings would be to avoid further compression.  The file that I have to work with is an mp4 file with a resolution of 1080p.  I am using Premiere Pro CC and After Effects CC.

Mike WilhelmMike Wilhelm
      Keymaster

Wikipedia has a list of lossless compression formats. From this list, the only one I've spent much time with this QuickTime Animation. 

Whatever you choose, be prepared for some big files!

Participant

Hey DaveyMac,

Mike is right. If you don't want any further compression, then use QuickTime Animation or Uncompressed 10-bit. Both will create rather large files (read: huge) but will prevent further loss in your video (at least for the master copy). 

On the other hand, you can simply save your project and all of its assets for future encoding and editing on a Blu-Ray disc, hard drive, or LTO tape. If you can collect all of the files you are using along with the Premiere Pro project file into a single folder structure and save it, you can keep the quality you have well into the future. In addition, you will also be able to quickly make future edits. With the space that an uncompressed video takes on a hard drive, burning your assets to disc may actually save you hard drive space! Just a thought!

By the way, where will the video be seen? On a website, YouTube, or disc? If you need to make deliverables for either of those mediums, I can certainly help you figure out the best codec and settings for each one!

Dan

Participant

Hi DaveyMac,

Unfortunately, your final output would still be rather large if you chose to export in an uncompressed format. However, it may be worth it for future projects.

In my opinion, your best bet to save quality would be to export your After Effects animations in QuickTime or AVI Lossless (which is a preset in the Render Queue in After Effects) and import the Lossless .mov or .avi into Adobe Premiere. This way, your animations won't experience an initial compression to a lossy codec like .mp4 out of After Effects and another round of compression when you upload to YouTube. At that point, you can then output your final videos from Premiere in an H.264 video file (with a bitrate of 50Mbps or higher) for YouTube. Lastly, you could then save the Premiere Pro project file, After Effects project file, Lossless animation exports from After Effects, and the original .mp4 you recieved on Blu-Ray, a hard drive, or LTO for future distribution while losing only a minimal amount of image quality. Though you will get an additional round of compression when turning your finalized videos into H.264's, it will make uploading to YouTube much, much faster with a minimal loss in quality. Otherwise, if you try to upload a Lossless video to YouTube, it could take an entire day or more!

Hopefully that helps!

Dan

Hi Dan, 

Thanks so much for the advice.  It was a huge help.  I ended up doing exactly what you said and the video turned out very well.  There were only a couple of spots with any noticeable loss in quality, but not enough to be distracting.  And good call on saving it that way for the future, just in case. 

Thanks again, 

David

Participant

No problem David! I'm glad to hear it worked out and that you could be the better editor by saving your original assets!

Dan

Participant

You might use Joyoshare video cutter.
      It can trim the video and export it without quality loss, as long as you dont convert its format.

Hey Dan,

Thanks for your advice for future projects.  I appreciate it.  Unfortunately, in this case, I was handed this project by a third party and they themselves don't have access to the original lossless files.  For my own projects, I usually try to keep the original uncompressed files archived.  Though, I do need to get a Blu-Ray setup going as I am running out of hard drive space.  As for this current project, the final destination will be Youtube.  What if I exported the After Effects Animations I'm working on as .mp4s and then loaded in them into the sequences with the .mp4 video and then exported the whole sequence uncompressed?  Will it still be massively large even if the original video file was .mp4 size?  Or is there another option that would work better?

David

Thanks for the link, Mike.  That will be a great help for the future.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap