Color Correction easier with a 3 sensor camera

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

I tend to do a bit of color correction.  Does anyone know if using footage from a camera that has 3 sensors (one for each primary color), allows for more isolated control of color correction during post?  More than a single larger sensor?

I'm looking a the the VG20 and I'm using a TM900 and it has 3 sensors in it and I love the control it gives me when I color correct.  Just curious is that versatility is more associated with footage from a camera with 3 sensors, rather than a camera with one (albeit larger sensor).  The VG20 has a much larger sensor, but I don't want to lose the color correction control in post. 

Anyone in videomaker land aware of this?

If I do lose latitude in post regarding color correction, I may try to find the best 3 sensor camcorder I can find for under $3000.

Participant

Here's my two sense based on my understanding of sensors:

I really think if there is a difference these two cameras, it's very minimal.

When a camera like the VG20 utilizes a single CMOS sensor, I believe that CMOS sensor records incoming light with a bayer pattern, where the pixles are arranged as follows:

BGBG

GRGR

BGBG

GRGR

A pixel is sensitive to only one primary color and the other two values that it should be picking up are interpolated based on the surrounding pixels. For example, if a pixel is sensitive to green light, the red and blue light that it should be recorded is only interpolated (aka: guessed) based upon adjacent pixels that are sensitive to red and blue.

When you have 3 sensors, that allows all primary colors to be recorded for every pixel.

What makes your question tricky is sensor size. The VG20's sensor is much larger than the TM900's 1/4" sensors. So while VG20 is doing much more interpolation, the size of the sensor may mean it has just as many red-, green-, and blue-sensitive pixels as TM900. Does that make sense?

If you were comparing two cameras that used sensors of the same size, but one was 3-Chip and the other was only single chip, the 3-chip would win, hands down.

Furthermore, both cameras utilize AVCHD/H.264/MPEG-4 compression, which utilizes 4:2:0 chroma sampling. If you don't know what that means, it means the cameras are throwing away a lot of color information in order to provide smaller file sizes. 

So at the end of the day, if there is a difference between the two cameras, I think it will be minimal. But I think you'll be fine for the color correction. I think you'll only start to see problems if you attempt any aggressive corrections. Make sure you give your camera enough light and you will be fine.

Hope that helps…

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best video monitors — 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap