Color Correction easier with a 3 sensor camera

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Shaun
      Participant

I tend to do a bit of color correction.  Does anyone know if using footage from a camera that has 3 sensors (one for each primary color), allows for more isolated control of color correction during post?  More than a single larger sensor?

I'm looking a the the VG20 and I'm using a TM900 and it has 3 sensors in it and I love the control it gives me when I color correct.  Just curious is that versatility is more associated with footage from a camera with 3 sensors, rather than a camera with one (albeit larger sensor).  The VG20 has a much larger sensor, but I don't want to lose the color correction control in post. 

Anyone in videomaker land aware of this?

If I do lose latitude in post regarding color correction, I may try to find the best 3 sensor camcorder I can find for under $3000.

Rob
      Participant

Here's my two sense based on my understanding of sensors:

I really think if there is a difference these two cameras, it's very minimal.

When a camera like the VG20 utilizes a single CMOS sensor, I believe that CMOS sensor records incoming light with a bayer pattern, where the pixles are arranged as follows:

BGBG

GRGR

BGBG

GRGR

A pixel is sensitive to only one primary color and the other two values that it should be picking up are interpolated based on the surrounding pixels. For example, if a pixel is sensitive to green light, the red and blue light that it should be recorded is only interpolated (aka: guessed) based upon adjacent pixels that are sensitive to red and blue.

When you have 3 sensors, that allows all primary colors to be recorded for every pixel.

What makes your question tricky is sensor size. The VG20's sensor is much larger than the TM900's 1/4" sensors. So while VG20 is doing much more interpolation, the size of the sensor may mean it has just as many red-, green-, and blue-sensitive pixels as TM900. Does that make sense?

If you were comparing two cameras that used sensors of the same size, but one was 3-Chip and the other was only single chip, the 3-chip would win, hands down.

Furthermore, both cameras utilize AVCHD/H.264/MPEG-4 compression, which utilizes 4:2:0 chroma sampling. If you don't know what that means, it means the cameras are throwing away a lot of color information in order to provide smaller file sizes. 

So at the end of the day, if there is a difference between the two cameras, I think it will be minimal. But I think you'll be fine for the color correction. I think you'll only start to see problems if you attempt any aggressive corrections. Make sure you give your camera enough light and you will be fine.

Hope that helps…

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Other Camcorders’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best Sony lenses — 2021

Sony has made a name for itself in the camera market lately. From its popular mirrorless line to its cinema cameras, Sony seems to be everywhere. The Sony E Mount has been around for about a decade. Since then, it's...
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.