Choosing camera for video (fixed lens or not)

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hi there! I am happy to get my first post to this lovely forum. I have found lots of interesting information here!

So, I am about to buy a camera.

Fact 1: The most important for me is to record video. I suppose that if I had to place a ratio that would be : Video 85% – Photos 15%.

Fact 2: I am going to do some street video recording, documentaries, weddings, theatrical plays or concerts and more of that capture some beautiful video moments of “everything”.

Fact 3: I need something quick and useful but also with major quality. I prefer that dslr cinematic style, with shallow depth of field and if it is possible, and i want some good results in low light conditions. For example, i want to be able to record a somewhat dark theatrical play with less noise. Do fixed lens cameras can reach the low light performance of a GH3? How important the sensor size is and how the lens?

Fact 4: I don’t care about sound because i am going to record outside the camera..

Fact 5: As we are talking about video, video codecs with less compression would be a good deal.

So, I search a lot the last year and I come up with some ideas which i am going to share with you and I would be very happy if someone can share their knowledge and experience in order to choose at lest the best tool.

Budget: Ideal scenario 1000$. Worst scenario 1500$

I think that probable a bridge camera would fit my needs.

I like the idea of having a fixed lense that has a very wide range like Panny FZ 1000 , 25 – 400 or RX-10ii, 25 – 200. Moreover, lx – 100 has very quick lens but only in 24 – 70 range (do i need more?I think so..).

On the other side, can these fixed lens cameras be compared in quality for example with gh3 and a good lense, or an a5100?

The ideal camera for me would be:

– Portable, discrete and small (a bit lighter than a dslr) with a superior fixed lens.

– Good in low light.

– Cinematic style, best quality.

– Best video codecs. I do not care so much about 4k, if 1080 can offer super quality and less compression.

– Nice manual modes. Don t care about autofocus.

– Don’t care about sound, however a mic in port would be nice.

– Don’t care about photos.

My ideas: Panasonic FZ 1000, Sony RX10ii, Panasonic LX-100

or with interchangeable lenses GH3, Sony A6000/5100.

It would be very useful to read some advice, good or bad experience with these cameras and about the characteristics I mention, for example I am not sure about the low light performance of FZ-1000 and rx-10ii. Fixed lense or not? Other suggestions?

Thank you very much in advance!

Aris

I would strongly recommend the sony RX-10 i or ii, they shoot in 50 mbs xavc-s,do very well in low light, and have a mic port. low light is comparable to the gh3, obviosly you can get a better/faster lens for the gh3 which would give it and edge. the rx-10 Maybe slightly better than the a6000/5100, The FZ-1000 is not nearly as good in low light, it’s strengths lie elswhere.
      lx 100 looks pretty good though,

some things to keep in mind are that the rx10 has optical stablization, but the manual focus is not mechanical which means you will not be able to attach a follow focus.

You can Search YouTube/Vimeo for sample footage
      ie,”FZ-1000 low light” etc… and take a look at that,
      a6000/5100 will obviously be the best at shallow depth of field,
      I shoot on an RX-10 and have used and a6000 so if you have any questions about those feel free to ask.

hope this helps,
      -Mark

I would strongly recommend the sony RX-10 i or ii, they shoot in 50 mbs xavc-s,do very well in low light, and have a mic port. low light is comparable to the gh3, obviosly you can get a better/faster lens for the gh3 which would give it and edge. the rx-10 Maybe slightly better than the a6000/5100, The FZ-1000 is not nearly as good in low light, it’s strengths lie elswhere.
      lx 100 looks pretty good though,

some things to keep in mind are that the rx10 has optical stablization, but the manual focus is not mechanical which means you will not be able to attach a follow focus.

You can Search YouTube/Vimeo for sample footage
      ie,”FZ-1000 low light” etc… and take a look at that,
      a6000/5100 will obviously be the best at shallow depth of field,
      I shoot on an RX-10 and have used and a6000 so if you have any questions about those feel free to ask.

hope this helps,
      -Mark

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best tripods for video — 2021

Carefully comparing and reviewing system specs will ultimately help you find the best tripod to fit your needs and your budget.
homicide-bootstrap