Cheap cheap HD

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I don't use my camcorder often for business… but I'm ready to upgrade my 3CCD NTSC to something HD.  Unfortunately, I don't really have a budget.  I have found a very good price on a Samsung HMX camcorder, but it doesn't have a microphone input. 

2 Questions

1-If I buy the Samsung anyway, how would you recommend to record a person's mic to sync up with the video?

2-Is there another HD camera at $150 or less with a Mic input?

Thanks!

Participant

For that price I'd go on ebay and get something used. 

If you want new, I think Toshiba makes low-end HD camcorders with microphone inputs.  I can't testify to the quality though.

Lowell Niles

Creative Director, Sunword Studios

http://www.sunword.com

Cheap, cheap? How about your cell phone? A lot of them will do 720p these days, and the picture quality should be as good as anything you can buy for $150. The trick is to mount your cell phone in landscape mode on a tripod, to get a really steady shot. There are plastic clamps on eBay that will do the trick.

Spend the $150 on a decent digital sound recorder. When you are ready to shoot, turn everything on and make a loud hand clap near the digital recorder and in view of the cell phone. You can line up the audio and video tracks in your NLE, using the hand clap.

I once had to use this approach as a McGyver when my main camera failed, and I was surprised at how well the footage turned out. One important factor–I had controlled lighting, which made all the difference in the world. With good light, you get good picture, even with a relatively cheap camera.

Participant

Zoom hn2 for the sound.  As long as the sound is near perfect as you can get it, the video gets alot of forgiveness if it isn't.

Points for Laguna' post.

Participant

I agree with Laguna Hiker– if you're that strapped on cash, use your cell phone on a tripod.  Spend the $150 on audio equipment.  I've seen pro videogs shoot on an iphone.

Participant

I have snagged a deal here and there on craigslist..

…but this can depend on your location really. +1 for ebay too.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition,...
homicide-bootstrap