Changed to: Yay, Premiere Pro CC

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I wanted to change this to give a big thumbs up to Adobe.

First, in case you missed this, I had problems with PP CC that had caused tons of trouble with my last two projects.

I contacted Adobe and never got a response after multiple tries on the chat feature of their website. I now know that they have a HUGE volume of contacts. Not unexpected but certainly way more than I thought.

Anyway, the problem I was having came down to simple authentication and getting the right Codecs loaded when my computer talked to Adobe. It's a simple fix but a bit complex, if that makes sense. Adobe guy knew exactly what to do and had me squared away fairly quickly. This is NOT a problem with the software but often associated with a sketchy internet connection that drops out at the wrong time and doesn't allow all the Codecs to be loaded.

Adobe guy was great. Patient, knowledgeable and completely competent around the program.

Thumbs up Adobe.

Participant

I've been using Sony Vegas Pro for years and remain very happy with it. It's currently at version 13 and comes in 3 different versions, depending on your requirements. THe best "bang for the buck" one is the Pro 13 Suite as you get Vegas, DVD Architect, Sound Forge, Hit Film and several other programs ($2,000.00 value) for $700.00

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegasprosuite for more info.

There are other programs out there too so please download the trial versions of each and play with them to see what fits your workflow and budget.

An i7 processor with a minimum of two hard drives and lots of RAM is recommended for video work these days.

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy.

Mike

I can certainly understand your frustration with PP. And I hope you'll bear with me for a moment while I answer a question other than the one you asked.

The crashing problem sounds unusual–that's a problem I haven't had. PP is very stable for me on an 8 GB, 64-bit quad core Windows box, with a separate HDD for video. It literally never crashes.

I'm wondering if there isn't something about your computer that might be an easier fix than switching to a different NLE. Plus, if there's a hardware problem, it might show up even when you switch to a different NLE.

To answer the question you did ask: The top three NLEs are FCP, PP and Avid Media Composer, followed closely by Sony Vegas. If you have to share workflow with clients or partners, FCP or PP are probably the way to go. Any of the four will provide you with any features you are likely to need, and they are all designed for flexible workflows, so you can work the way you like.

Another alternative is to use Premiere Elements. It's designed for the wedding videography market, and it's not as capable as PP (no subclips, less capable color correction, and so on). But if your needs are more straightforward, and you want a simpler workflow, it might do the job for you.

Hope that helps!

Participant

One would think there is a way to preload the codecs onto the computer and save them. So, when there was limited or no internet the software still can be used. Which many location shoots may not have internet connections, which case you might be limited to just backing up files onto a laptop or other storage device, on a small budget shoot. When you get into paying licenses to film you will at least need to check the footage on-location, before you shutdown.

While just meeting the Software minium requirements will allow the software to run on the given basic computer. Adobe recommends having at least 3 hardrives, when working with their video software. One to read the files from, one to allow the software to crunch the numbers on and one to write the end product too. Loading the system with as much ram as you can afford does help too. Videocards with large amounts of ram and CUDA Cores help during the editing process in that live editing preview loading is faster or completed in realtime. The more processing cores you have on the cpu will help reduce render times. In the 4k world having more than a single cpu, tons of ram is cruical, along with raid storage. I would have to say most video editing software on the market today would agree with Adobe's three drive minium for best stable working enviroment.

Having worked with Adobe Premiere and After Effects for several years now. You can do some basic edits on a laptop, but rendering worked best on a desktop. Where you did basic editing on a laptop and saved the file,then rendered it out using the desktop. i7 worked alright for some projects, but a After Effects projects with a ton of effects, some rendering took sometimes days to complete. Moving to a Dual cpu, dual videocard,128 ram, 5 hardrive with a 12TB raid system the same rendering took less than an hour to complete. It all depends on how long your clients are going to wait for a finish project to be delivered.  In any production there are those unforeseen problems that come up and sometimes having a fast system can make the difference in keeping clients happy or delivering on-time. It is our pocketbook that decides which side of the coin we have to work. I know that no matter where, I fall Adobe support will always do their best to find a solution. For $49.99 a month I get everything Adobe makes and Adobe Support is always there.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2020

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your...
homicide-bootstrap